Great second hunt of the year.

huntress104

Apr 6, 2011
kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
I walked the plowed fields again after an inch of rain fell here on Friday. I walked for about three hours and found all these. Seven whole points, a very good knife, several scrapers and lots of broken points. Found what I would call a graver. It had the end broke but the little tip was very pointed and sharp. Also in the mix were five broken drills. I found one end of a knife while walking down one row and I got lucky and found the second half about 10 feet down in the row next to that one.(see pics) I am including a picture of one of the smallest points I have ever found. It measures 1 inch in length and 1/2 inch at it's ears. I would like to see others post their smallest point they have found. I think it would be interesting to see. Thanks for looking.

DSC03330.JPG DSC03319.JPG DSC03321.JPG DSC03311.JPG DSC03313.JPG DSC03324.JPG

DSC03323.JPG DSC03322.JPG DSC03327.JPG DSC03320.JPG DSC03317.JPG DSC03325.JPG

Upvote 0

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful finds! :icon_thumleft:
Awesome looking square knife, too bad it is broken (Photo #4 and #5)

Last edited:

PullTabSlayer

Jan 31, 2017
Troy Missouri
Detector(s) used
That one I grab for the day.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You had an awesome day indeed!

My smallest point measures 3/4" in length, found it recently as well

IMG_9559.JPG

creekhunter

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IMG_2813.JPG You have a great spot there, nice to find both parts to a broke anytime! Here is one of my smallest, recovered in January, thanks for the look at your awesome finds!!!

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now thats what I remember seeing you find. Cant wait till you get another couple of inches of rain. I will look for a pic of my smallest I hope triangles count :)
I find some small notched ones to.

Attachments

• SDC10567.JPG
    SDC10567.JPG
    728 KB · Views: 71
  • SDC11772.JPG
    SDC11772.JPG
    675.9 KB · Views: 52

coosakid

Nov 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great find you must have a killer spot

Sent from my A571VL using Tapatalk

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would love to have a day like that. I hope you get more rain! 0516170919_HDR.jpg I sure wonder what the setup looked that shot the small points. Really great day you had.

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow! those are amazing finds and a lot of them! So cool you found the other half of the one. I was going to say my smallest point is the Palmer in my avatar but remembered I have an even smaller one but it's at home and I don't have a pic on the computer here at work. Will try to remember to post it here this evening.

OP
OP
huntress104

huntress104

Apr 6, 2011
kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Now thats what I remember seeing you find. Cant wait till you get another couple of inches of rain. I will look for a pic of my smallest I hope triangles count :)
I find some small notched ones to.

Yes I would like to see any kind of small artifact you have found. Everything counts. Love the triangle!! Thanks Rock

OP
OP
huntress104

huntress104

Apr 6, 2011
kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
I would love to have a day like that. I hope you get more rain! View attachment 1452187 I sure wonder what the setup looked that shot the small points. Really great day you had.

You know I wondered that myself. What do you think they would have used it for, squirrels, birds, rabbits maybe? It would have had to been a very small arrow to hold that small of a point I would think. Your point is pretty awesome. Love the color. Thanks for sharing it.

OP
OP
huntress104

huntress104

Apr 6, 2011
kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Wow! those are amazing finds and a lot of them! So cool you found the other half of the one. I was going to say my smallest point is the Palmer in my avatar but remembered I have an even smaller one but it's at home and I don't have a pic on the computer here at work. Will try to remember to post it here this evening.

Please do Peaches. Would love to see it!!

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know I wondered that myself. What do you think they would have used it for, squirrels, birds, rabbits maybe? It would have had to been a very small arrow to hold that small of a point I would think. Your point is pretty awesome. Love the color. Thanks for sharing it.

The sand hill cranes stop in the San Luis Valley. I found three small ones by the side of a dry lake. I like to think they were after those. Of coarse they could have been after ducks or fish I think. Maybe they used an overall smaller setup. This point is thin, it weighs hardly anything.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Most of the tiny ones were true arrowheads used to shoot people. Back then they couldnt do surgery and the tiny points couldnt be removed and it would then get infected and the person or animal would die from it. Very slow death. Glad I wasnt around then Id be hard to miss.

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been so busy I almost forgot to post mine. Pic is not that great but if I had to type it I would say Morrow Mtn Round base. The archie told me that it was made from a flake and it's flint native to Western NC. Some people would say its a scraper but the archie said it is a point. The Palmer's black flint was more than likely traded flint since it's not native to NC but instead East TN. When I first found the tan one I thought it was a leaf and flipped it over then saw what it was. My creek is probably full of little ones but they hide well and I don't sift often as it breaks my back lol
WP_20170517_002.jpg

OP
OP
huntress104

huntress104

Apr 6, 2011
kentucky
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
I've been so busy I almost forgot to post mine. Pic is not that great but if I had to type it I would say Morrow Mtn Round base. The archie told me that it was made from a flake and it's flint native to Western NC. Some people would say its a scraper but the archie said it is a point. The Palmer's black flint was more than likely traded flint since it's not native to NC but instead East TN. When I first found the tan one I thought it was a leaf and flipped it over then saw what it was. My creek is probably full of little ones but they hide well and I don't sift often as it breaks my back lol
View attachment 1452505

Those are just beautiful Peaches. I love them both. I think it's just amazing that they could hold onto the flint long enough to get it knapped out. I guess there are probably a lot more small points out there than we think. They are so stinking hard to find. I would go blind looking for these small ones all day.:laughing7:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are just beautiful Peaches. I love them both. I think it's just amazing that they could hold onto the flint long enough to get it knapped out. I guess there are probably a lot more small points out there than we think. They are so stinking hard to find. I would go blind looking for these small ones all day.:laughing7:

9 out 10 I find are 1 inch or less. If I find 1 over 1.5 inches I consider it a big point. I have 1 thats over 4 in I found this past Dec and its the largest I have ever found.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread