rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I got there early today cause of how hot it is by 12. I walk 3 rows at a time one down the middle and one on each side of me looking left and right till I see something. Cotton is about 12 inches tall in most sections so still low enough to jump a row if needed. I had to speed walk it to cover as much ground as possible. I was surprised as to how clear the ground was and was able to see most everything pretty good. Farmers were spraying the cotton plants in the upper fields. I have noticed grasshoppers in the fields and maybe they are eating the plants not sure. I had to move my truck so the tractor could get by. As I was taking the long walk back to where I was at I saw the quartzite Savannah River laying in the green moss. 1st point find of the day. There are 3 big scrapers in the pic each one is 2x1 inches they look to of been made by the same ancient person by the flaking and design of them. Cashe? I also found some drills but of course almost all had damage. Then there is a black knife and the salt and pepper is a scraper. I find plenty of the salt and pepper material but most times they are worked to preforms only. If I find one worked they are usually broken so it was nice to see something whole in that material. There is still plenty of rows to walk seeing there is 5 large fields on that property. N.GA. surface finds only, rock

Attachments

• SDC12396.JPG
    SDC12396.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 197
Upvote 0
OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just something I found interesting about the huge cotton fields I use to hunt years ago. Looking on google map not long ago I noticed something that really stood out. The photos were taken in the winter. It was very noticeable that in the areas of he fields where the most artifacts were found, the soil was much darker. Just wanted to pass that along and wondering if others have notice similar?

Well it could be from the farmers burning off the brush which they do sometimes to help with the growth of their crops just before planting. You will find more artifacts in a hard top soil field rather than a sandy field. The rocks will sink in the sand but while in the hard clay soil they will lay on top after a good rain. The fields I look on have both types of soil and I hardly ever find them in the sandy areas but Im sure they are there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread