dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Part 1 of 2

If you have never read of the Laswell Great Pipe;

July 16th, 2012 was a hot summer day. But that didn’t stop James Laswell from deciding to go hunting for old bottles on the White River in Madison County, Indiana. The river runs right through the town of Anderson where he lives.

That day the White river was the lowest Laswell had seen in approximately twenty years. He headed out from the bank and was able to reach the center of the river, which that day was only a fraction of its normal depth.

Soon he spotted what he thought was an old black powder pistol. The thought of finding something so different excited him, but as he bent down and picked it up, he realized it wasn’t what he thought it was at all. It was a pipe, and a big one! He describes that day in his own words:​
I guess it started about 40 years ago. Even though I was only about six years old, my Dad always had me carry the bait bucket for trapping. It had meat and muskrat carcasses in it. We went walking around the fence rows of corn fields along the creek and on the river banks. Muskrats and fox were the winter pay checks.

the_laswell_great_effigy_pipe2.jpg
the_laswell_great_effigy_pipe3.jpg
Above: The other side and top view of the of the the Laswell Great Pipe. Notice the difference in patination from the opposite side.​
Every time my Dad saw bottles or anything that was old he told me to get it, no matter how deep it was in the water or even in the sticker bushes. Sometimes the water could be cold too. Over the years we found arrowheads, lots of hardstone axe heads and thousands of old bottles. I still look for Indian stuff whenever I go somewhere I think bottles might be, My hobby is finding the oldest bottles I can. The best place to look is in your local creeks and rivers. The older the bottle, the deeper in the muck I have to probe (with a potato fork). They are always on the hard bottom covered maybe with a foot or more of ever changing mud and muck, always up against the upstream side of any rock or obstacle that is in water.

The other day I was walking, looking for bottles in the river, which was so low that I could see bottom areas that I never could before. I couldn't believe how low the water level was. The sun was at 12 o clock , which was perfect for seeing deep. I've been lots of times to same place, but this time it was deeper than when water was normal. I saw what I thought was an old pistol handle, like the black powder kind from way back. I knew Mother Nature didn't make things that looked like that. so I reached down into water to about shoulder depth and grabbed it by the head, for it looked like a handle. At the same time my ole lady was upstream feeding the carp in a deep hole some Skittles she had. Usually she hollers at me so I don't go looking too far away, but I am so glad she never said a word this time. I looked at what I had and I started yelling to her but she was too far away to understand. She said she thought I found another amber coke bottle or something.

He soon realized what he had found was a Woodland period "Great Pipe" made from steatite. It measured a huge 10 ¾ inches in length and stood almost 3 ½ inches tall at the bowl. It depicted a bird with an engraved feather pattern, as well as deep holes for the eyes. Most probably these were once inlaid with shell. The details of the pipe had been softened somewhat from water weathering, since it had probably been in the river channel for at least a thousand years or more.

So how did the pipe get into the river? That answer will never be known. It could have once been placed or buried on the bank and then eroded into the waters. It may have been given as a "gift" to the waters by those who utilized it at one time. It may have accidentally been dropped and because of its weight it quickly fell to the bottom, out of reach and without any possibility of recovery. It is interesting to note that slightly upstream of the find location is "Mounds State Park" featuring the famous Hopewell Great Mound.

james_laswell.jpg

100_0978.JPG

100_0976.JPG

Central States Archaeological Societies :: The Laswell Great Effigy Pipe

Part 2 coming soon......

Upvote 0

Tkaz

Dec 24, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Part 1 of 2

If you have never read of the Laswell Great Pipe;

July 16th, 2012 was a hot summer day. But that didn’t stop James Laswell from deciding to go hunting for old bottles on the White River in Madison County, Indiana. The river runs right through the town of Anderson where he lives.

That day the White river was the lowest Laswell had seen in approximately twenty years. He headed out from the bank and was able to reach the center of the river, which that day was only a fraction of its normal depth.

Soon he spotted what he thought was an old black powder pistol. The thought of finding something so different excited him, but as he bent down and picked it up, he realized it wasn’t what he thought it was at all. It was a pipe, and a big one! He describes that day in his own words:​
I guess it started about 40 years ago. Even though I was only about six years old, my Dad always had me carry the bait bucket for trapping. It had meat and muskrat carcasses in it. We went walking around the fence rows of corn fields along the creek and on the river banks. Muskrats and fox were the winter pay checks.

the_laswell_great_effigy_pipe2.jpg
the_laswell_great_effigy_pipe3.jpg
Above: The other side and top view of the of the the Laswell Great Pipe. Notice the difference in patination from the opposite side.​
Every time my Dad saw bottles or anything that was old he told me to get it, no matter how deep it was in the water or even in the sticker bushes. Sometimes the water could be cold too. Over the years we found arrowheads, lots of hardstone axe heads and thousands of old bottles. I still look for Indian stuff whenever I go somewhere I think bottles might be, My hobby is finding the oldest bottles I can. The best place to look is in your local creeks and rivers. The older the bottle, the deeper in the muck I have to probe (with a potato fork). They are always on the hard bottom covered maybe with a foot or more of ever changing mud and muck, always up against the upstream side of any rock or obstacle that is in water.

The other day I was walking, looking for bottles in the river, which was so low that I could see bottom areas that I never could before. I couldn't believe how low the water level was. The sun was at 12 o clock , which was perfect for seeing deep. I've been lots of times to same place, but this time it was deeper than when water was normal. I saw what I thought was an old pistol handle, like the black powder kind from way back. I knew Mother Nature didn't make things that looked like that. so I reached down into water to about shoulder depth and grabbed it by the head, for it looked like a handle. At the same time my ole lady was upstream feeding the carp in a deep hole some Skittles she had. Usually she hollers at me so I don't go looking too far away, but I am so glad she never said a word this time. I looked at what I had and I started yelling to her but she was too far away to understand. She said she thought I found another amber coke bottle or something.

He soon realized what he had found was a Woodland period "Great Pipe" made from steatite. It measured a huge 10 ¾ inches in length and stood almost 3 ½ inches tall at the bowl. It depicted a bird with an engraved feather pattern, as well as deep holes for the eyes. Most probably these were once inlaid with shell. The details of the pipe had been softened somewhat from water weathering, since it had probably been in the river channel for at least a thousand years or more.

So how did the pipe get into the river? That answer will never be known. It could have once been placed or buried on the bank and then eroded into the waters. It may have been given as a "gift" to the waters by those who utilized it at one time. It may have accidentally been dropped and because of its weight it quickly fell to the bottom, out of reach and without any possibility of recovery. It is interesting to note that slightly upstream of the find location is "Mounds State Park" featuring the famous Hopewell Great Mound.

View attachment 1464585

View attachment 1464586

View attachment 1464587

Central States Archaeological Societies :: The Laswell Great Effigy Pipe

Part 2 coming soon......
Amazing...

Sent from my SM-G930V using TreasureNet.com mobile app

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
James Laswell was not an artifact hunter when he found that pipe. Eventually, he became good friends with one of the most experienced artifact hunters it has been my pleasure to ever know. I think his handle may be chase2 on TNet. chase has hunted in more states that I can shake a stick at. I have a great photo of he and James standing together, with James holding the Great Pipe(so called for its size, the name given to such pipes). At any event, James became an experienced artifact hunter himself, but I don't imagine he'll ever top that one!

chase2

May 6, 2013
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
James is a friend of mine. This is the real deal for artifacts. I have held it.
When James found the pipe he had gotten onto another forum site but was not a member, He was in the chat room going I am rich, which for me always brings up red flags. But James knew nothing of artifacts accept he knew he had something great. He is a scavenger and looks for a buck in anything he can find, That is his life style. He goes out to collect bottles for money, he goes out to old farms to salvage rusty metal to sell. he picks up drywall jobs when he can. When he first posted the pipe you could still see the hatched mayfly cocoons inside the bowl. It was taken to Ball state for analysis.
DSCN0699.JPG DSCN0700.JPG image_8253.jpg image_21526.jpg
You can believe what you want, but I have handled many artifacts over the years.

creekhunter

Bronze Member
Dec 14, 2007
Cincinnati, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Radio Shack
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a super great read, thanks truly for sharing that, when the water gets low this year I know I will be checking the river near us!!!

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great story!! A find like will never be topped. Any guess how old it could be??

OP
OP
dognose

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
Jame is a relic hunting friend. The pipe is authentic. I've said it before and I will say it again, nobody can authenticate or label as a reproduction 100% a relic from simply a photo.

Here he is crossing a creek while we were in the field earlier April of this year.
20170423_115731.jpg

Tony Putty of Shelbyville Indiana purchased the pipe, and later resold it.

Attachments

• 20170423_115731.jpg
    20170423_115731.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 84

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread