Jacks reef pentagonal?

tnmudman

Feb 12, 2017
middle tennessee
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
This point is certainly pentagonal but is it a jacks reef if not what is it? I would guess this is from the same time period as hamiltons and other woodland points, can anyone tell me anything else about it? It is a personal find from middle Tennessee. I found all the points in the frame from the same site . 0708170900a.jpg 0708170900.jpg 0708170859b.jpg 0706171903.jpg

Upvote 0

Twitch

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2010
Missouri
I agree it's a Jack's Reef. Great find. One of my favorite types. Only ever found one personally. Nice work.

OP
OP
T

tnmudman

Feb 12, 2017
middle tennessee
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I found it this spring it was in a row of peach seedlings .i would like to hear what rock and tnmountain thinks about it that one in my last post was similar and that got me to thinking about this point thanks for any comments and opinions

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find it does look like a jacks reef and maybe that is how a lot of them looked originally with the longer tips. I imagine they probably would have broke easily and than just resharpened a new tip. The other point sure looks Clovis is the other side fluted too? did you create a post when you found that one? May generate more responses and I know I'd love to see some pics of it [emoji106]🏻

OP
OP
T

tnmudman

Feb 12, 2017
middle tennessee
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Arrow that was the first post i ever made on here.Maybe you can go back and look at it if not i will post some more picks.It has like 3 smaller flutes on the other side of it i found it on the surface all the points in that frame came from an area maybe 3 or 4 acres i guess, i hope one day i will find another ine there that isnt so beat up

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just went back and checked it out must have missed it first time around .... Looks like same side in pics if you have time would love to see the other side

Arrow1492

Mar 18, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Without the base, there is no way to confirm if it is jacks reef. The base is 99% of what can Identify a piece on a fragment like this.

Arrow1492

Mar 18, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If the base is all there, then it is certainly not at JR. The jacks are more pentagon all in nature, and yours is more or less triangular. Also, the Jack's contain ears that yours does not, And is also corner notched. It is certainly thin which jacks are not to be so I would relate to another arrowhead type most likely late prehistoric.

OP
OP
T

tnmudman

Feb 12, 2017
middle tennessee
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I appreciate your opinion arrow1492 and it may not be a jacksreef but it is pentagonal and not a triangle it has 5 distinct corners on it

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could it be a Fort Ancient Point? I find some you just cant really give a name to.

OP
OP
T

tnmudman

Feb 12, 2017
middle tennessee
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I dont think its a ft. Ancient as they are a triangle like you say i guess some points may not fall into a named category which is ok with me its a cool little point regardless

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread