Pics of artifacts from the 450th anniversary of Joara

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I took a few pics of the displays, not the greatest but the sun caused a glare. It was a fun event and it was nice to meet TonyinSC and his wife and great grandson today, real nice people and hope they enjoyed the event today. Some of the pottery in these pics are just like what I find but I live on the other side of the county, still same groups of people. Also, the pottery is much much larger than any pieces I have found but you never know what's going to wash out into my creek. The archie was there telling the story of Juan Pardo and the NA's and I hope the folks here appreciate that Joara put Morganton NC on the map for having a site as old as this and no other state can say the same. Anyway, it was a fun day with native dancing and hands on activities for the kids.
WP_20170805_005.jpg WP_20170805_006.jpg WP_20170805_007.jpg WP_20170805_008.jpg WP_20170805_009.jpg WP_20170805_010.jpg WP_20170805_011.jpg WP_20170805_012.jpg

Upvote 0

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It was GREAT!!! We have never attended a historical/educational event that covered the interaction of the Native Americans and the Spanish in such detail and have so many artifacts to back it up. The exhibit of the weapons the Spanish arquebus(match lock) and the atlatl was a hit.

OP
OP
NCPeaches

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I loved the way David Moore told the story and he tries to dispel the myths so many people have that the Native Americans were stupid. I've read some of the notes that Juan Pardo's scribe wrote and at least that part of history is very clear about what happened.

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have heard some of the stories that have been handed down about the first meeting. The way one of the Native Americans described the Europeans was" They wear too many clothes and they smell bad".
I loved the way David Moore told the story and he tries to dispel the myths so many people have that the Native Americans were stupid. I've read some of the notes that Juan Pardo's scribe wrote and at least that part of history is very clear about what happened.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats some nice looking designs on the pottery glad you had fun.

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice pics. Some really interesting stuff there. Next time im in Tubac, Ill get some pictures of the cool stuff in the museum there. They have a bunch of points and other NA artifacts on display.

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great story behind this. Just on the other side of the mountains from where I live is a ghost town on the border, called Lochiel, and a huge old ranch. There is also a large monument just outside of town that was erected for De Niza, who was the first white man to make it up into these parts, back in 1539.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread