Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know why I didn't post this here initially, haha

Is this a celt? Is it greenstone? What can you tell me about it?

I have a thread marked as solved in the "What Is It?" forum, but wouldn't mind your input as well! Thanks!

NJ

DSCF0544.JPG DSCF0550.JPG DSCF0570.JPG DSCF0561.JPG DSCF0555.JPG

Upvote 0

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
Nice piece!

It's a decent little celt or adze. It was probably pecked into shape and then ground/honed to an edge against a slab of sandstone or some other abrasive rock.

If it's from your area, it could be diorite or gneiss an outcrop, or a random cobble of some really tough rock dragged down from the roof of the world by a glacier.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice accidental find! And a good one at that. :icon_thumleft:

Mark Todd

Apr 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice find, many people hunt good grounds all their life and never find a an axe or celt, you did well.
Congrats!

Carolina Tom

Gold Member
Apr 4, 2014
Charlotte
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus V3.2 9" & 11" Coils, AT Pro, ProPointer AT, Lesche 55, 75 & 80LT
Primary Interest:
Other
That is really a sweet find. Congrats!

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find like mark said a rare find anymore ..... I'm still looking for my first. I didn't see your other post where did you find it ? Creek?

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks a lot everyone! I did find another interesting rock there before. It came to a point like this celt and looked like a similar type of rock, but it was only a piece, a sliver from one edge, smooth on one side and exposed rock on the other, like it had shattered. I put it somewhere and now I can't find it. Hopefully it turns up so that I can show you and you can tell me what you think.

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find like mark said a rare find anymore ..... I'm still looking for my first. I didn't see your other post where did you find it ? Creek?

In the front yard of a 1860-1920 house site on some very interesting land with a huge hill with a creek winding around it. I was digging a tricky iron signal and widening the hole and this rock kind of just fell onto my shovel somewhere between 5 and 10 inches down, hard to tell, it just appeared and caught my eye. I knew it was odd, held it under the coil and it didn't make a sound, and so I put it in my bag to take home and ask about it, and continued digging my rusty hoe blade or whatever the signal ended up being. I also found four large cents that day: 1912, 1913, 1915, and 1888.

It's under "stone chisel thing" in the "What Is It?" forum, and "Back to the ol' burnt-down house site" in the "Bottles & Glass" forum (I started off as a bottle digger and these guys are my closest friends on here, so I usually show them anything I find even if it's not glass).

Last edited:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a nice Celt but it isnt Green Stone. Not sure on the type I havent found any black ones yet. I have found a couple whole ones and a few broken ones. Its a nice keeper, congrats

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A nice one too. Another one on my list of the many things I want to find. Congratulations.

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a nice Celt but it isnt Green Stone. Not sure on the type I havent found any black ones yet. I have found a couple whole ones and a few broken ones. Its a nice keeper, congrats

rock, do you think that it might be schist? Jon Stewart made that suggestion further up. It kind of looks like it has that layered metamorphic grain look to it, anyway. I'd definitely love to know what kind of rock it's made from! I'm not sure if this pic would help:

DSCF0571.JPG

Last edited:

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
I was looking at the side view that you posted. I have a few pieces of schist that I recovered from Indian sites and it kind of looks like the materials your celt is made out of.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Could be quartzite which comes in many levels of hardness and colors. Schist in my area isnt hard and either is slate but I have seen some points made from slate and schist. I believe and its probably just me but maybe a few thousand of years ago the materials we find now might of been a harder material. I think there are a lot of materials when the cortex is removed it actually will breakdown over a few thousand years be a softer lithic now but harder back then. And again its just a theory of mine. Flints dont seen to be as bad as a quartz type for breaking down.

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's so interesting! To consider that a rock may have been harder and more dense thousands of years ago, I guess it makes total sense, especially for rocks that are more permeable, porous, etc. Not a ridiculous theory at all!

pickaway

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2011
Detector(s) used
ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sweet celt !!!

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Celt, and if you can, show us that arrowhead you mentioned before, and we'll be able to tell you right away if its artificial or natural. I also enjoy seeing any old artifact for any reason.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
from your other post...were you thinking this was modern made stone chisle? do you have any examples of those?

OP
OP
NJKLAGT

NJKLAGT

Bronze Member
Oct 18, 2014
Southern Ontario
Detector(s) used
Garrett Euro Ace 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Celt, and if you can, show us that arrowhead you mentioned before, and we'll be able to tell you right away if its artificial or natural. I also enjoy seeing any old artifact for any reason.

I posted this here a long time ago, I think we came to the conclusion that it's an Onondaga chert knife/hide scraper.

DSCF7187.JPG DSCF7186.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread