rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got out again and it sure was fun. I found the usual things but then I found the better to. Piece of stone bowl (fresh break), Not so great Triangle and this quartz piece which was my 1st find of the day. Go ahead Mudman make my day as to what the heck it is and Im not even sure if I am holding it upside down or not. It does have a tip ding but not missing a lot. Its worked on both sides like a point , all edges are worked on the sides, Probably would of been 3 inches long if whole. I like it but what the heck is it? N GA personal finds, rock

Attachments

• SDC12575.JPG
    SDC12575.JPG
    746.6 KB · Views: 104
  • SDC12577.JPG
    SDC12577.JPG
    712.6 KB · Views: 79
  • SDC12579.JPG
    SDC12579.JPG
    679.8 KB · Views: 79
  • SDC12580.JPG
    SDC12580.JPG
    689.8 KB · Views: 83
Upvote 0

welsbury

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2010
Eastern oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A good day Rock.Like that quartz piece even though I have no clue what it is ,sure is big and looks to have decent work on it too.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
I'd guess it is a Stemmed knife. The skinny end was halfted to some form of handle.

mn9000

Oct 10, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hot dog dude! Great day! Big ole quartz knife or tool huh?

tnmudman

Feb 12, 2017
middle tennessee
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I was thinking maybe a drill but i dont recall seeing a quartz drill quito may be right, but its really nice whatever it is.the color of it really stands out.Cool little triangle also.What is the piece of bowl made of ?

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was thinking maybe a drill but i dont recall seeing a quartz drill quito may be right, but its really nice whatever it is.the color of it really stands out.Cool little triangle also.What is the piece of bowl made of ?

The bowl is made of Soapstone they made some silver ones, brown and green. All the stone bowls here were made before pottery was used or even thought of. Stone bowls date around 5000 b.p. in my area so it would be Archaic period. I think you are rite about it being a drill on the quartz piece. I sent some pics to 2 people I know and they said drill on it and probably Archaic period. 1 person actually said they used the quartz drills for making the soapstone pieces. I really like your knowledge and welcome your comments on anything I post. Im still learning but have learned a lot. I found the drill just up from the bowl fragment so they might of been used together in ancient times which is pretty cool in my book.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are some other finds from yesterday. These are probably Woodland period I like the flake tools.

Attachments

• SDC12572.JPG
    SDC12572.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 56

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Outside of Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's so awesome. If I even found those flakes I'd be so happy. Heading to Maryland next Thursday to search my only decent area. Great finds, rock!

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some nice examples of cord marked pottery to for the pottery lovers. I only kept the 2 pieces.

Attachments

• SDC12596.JPG
    SDC12596.JPG
    870.5 KB · Views: 55

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice finds Rock. I especially like the soapstone piece. I am not geographically very far from some ancient soapstone quarries, but for some reason I rarely if ever find any. I would guess your large quartz piece might have been an awl. With that large end they could probably hold it comfortably and exert a strong piercing force. The large end probably prevented it from being hafted from that end, or being used in a bow drill arrangement? In truth we will never know. HH

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Obsidian flakes?

No we have black flint here just like in my avatar the black and white which was a personal find. We also have straight black and some green and black to. Ive even found red and black which is a rare color.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That quarts tool is unique. cool piece. Good to see you are finding some time to get out man. Nice hunt.

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That quarts tool is unique. cool piece. Good to see you are finding some time to get out man. Nice hunt.

Thanks its been fun in between all the walks at work. Walks starting back up next week and will probably be till the end of the year by the way they are talking. So that being said I did another hunt yesterday :)
Trying to fill me 2017 frame up while I can. I will post the others in a couple of days.

mn9000

Oct 10, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rock what are the clues on that bowl that indicate a fresh break? Is it possible to post a picture of it?

OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rock what are the clues on that bowl that indicate a fresh break? Is it possible to post a picture of it?

Well woke up at 2am this morning and have to be at work in a couple of hours so it will have to be later today and I will get some pics for you. Its fresh due to the color is different and also its grainy on that side and no polish. But yes I will have to get a new pic. Thanks for the interest on it. I have only found 3 pieces of stone bowls in all of my hunts ever. Thought it was pottery till I picked it up and felt the weight of it then I knew what it was. My best piece shows drill marks on it that dont go all the way through and its much bigger.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread