Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Ace 400, AT Pro, equinox 800, Simplex,Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Found this by, or actually in, the River Rouge in Detroit suburbs, which of course was a main drag back in the day before European settlers arrived.
Was actually scouting for detecting spots but soon was attracted to a nice selection of rocks in the clear shallow water. Saw the shape and sure enough, gotta be the real deal.
Looks like the tip has been blunted over time, over all in pretty good shape.

Guess I should go scouting a bit more and see what else I might find.

Attachments

• IMG_2427.JPG
    IMG_2427.JPG
    543.3 KB · Views: 209
Upvote 0

Goldfinger450

Aug 28, 2017
Central Oregon.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice point there Xray, the tip has been reworked it looks like and the original user used it like that, Hope you find a lot more fun waiting for you .

OP
OP
Xraywolf

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Now that you mention it, even the seemingly flat tip has an edge to it, maybe you are right.

mn9000

Oct 10, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
How big is that beauty??? Maybe put a quarter next to it for scale in another photo. I'm curious about the material too if anyone happens to know...

Last edited:
OP
OP
Xraywolf

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is the other side and next to a guitar pick, I'm guessing probably average to small size

Attachments

• IMG_2447.JPG
    IMG_2447.JPG
    399.2 KB · Views: 121

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That would be a big point in my area not average at all. The tip damage might be a impact fracture from use and it hitting its target but not with a lot of force. If it had hit hard it would of been a deeper fracture I have found points split in half from impact fractures.

Tired Rooster

Nov 6, 2011
Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelabs and Tesoros
Several of them....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really nice. You know...I had a small box that had several indian arrow heads in it, that I had found as a small kid with my great uncle. They were all found in north Alabama. That box got lost somewhere over the years of moving from place to place and what not. A shame. I would scout that river more for sure...just see what else is lying there waiting on you to find.
:icon_thumright:

OP
OP
Xraywolf

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the comments, didn't think this would drum up much interest as they are fairly common, but every single one is unique and special.
They were meticulously hand crafted by a primitive [by our standards] people 100's or even 1,000's of years ago. They were specifically made for survival, to harvest a living creature so that the maker and all who depended on him could live.
They are relics of the very roots of civilization, the very dawn of tool making, and the near inception of weaponry. For those reasons and more, they will always fascinate those with inquisitive minds.

I browsed ebay out of curiosity, as I expected pricing is all over the place, from a few $$ to $100's.
Was surprised that some carried, COA's, shouldn't have been.
Stands to reason that these could be easily faked by anyone with the inclination, time and skill to fashion one themselves.

I tend to agree that this projectile was most likely blunted by striking the bone of a target animal, human even.
Was lost in the heat of the moment or discarded as defective, untouched by human hands until I chanced upon it and picked it up.

Attachments

• IMG_2448.JPG
    IMG_2448.JPG
    349.7 KB · Views: 91
Last edited:

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a nice point and nothing to be ashamed of. :icon_thumleft:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well if that was a impact fracture they reworked it to a knife tool type of thing I see its worked around the tip. Must of been a huge point at 1 time even bigger than it is now.

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Probably a knife to begin with. Most larger “points” are. They’re too big and heavy for a practical spear. Wouldn’t be surprising to see a reworked tip, they got heavy use.
Just a note on ebay, there are fakers with their own COAs.

OP
OP
Xraywolf

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Interesting observations, I've been thinking alot about arrow heads since I have found this.
I'd like to do some research, based on location [rouge river SE MI Detroit area], could probably narrow it down to a few likely tribes. I want to get some water boots so I can go wading. Perfect time to go hunting since the mosquitoes are dying off.

I figured arrow head COA's aren't an exact science, too bad it has come to that.

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find...I always enjoy the posts of people's first finds...the excitement and the quest for knowledge are what makes this hobby so special...the whole scenario has to be experienced to understand...

OP
OP
Xraywolf

Xraywolf

Silver Member
Feb 28, 2005
MI USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Actually my 2nd find, 1st one as an adult.

Found the other one as a kid 30+ years ago, had a large pile of fill dirt delivered to our backyard, quickly found this while I was playing around in it before it was spread out.
Still have it all these years later - If the other one is considered large then this one must be huge, perhaps more of a spear than an arrow.

Attachments

• IMG_2461.JPG
    IMG_2461.JPG
    491.4 KB · Views: 77

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread