Lets see what you consider your rarest personal find...

Ammoman

Bronze Member
Oct 12, 2015
NC
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Nokta Impact, Tesoro Compadre..
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry about posting my tooth on this thread...i just looked at the title and posted without noticing it was North American Indian artifacts. that said, This May be my rarest Indian Artifact find.

It was suggested this may be a tomahawk.
I would love any input for or against the suggestion.

IMG_2230.JPG IMG_2234.JPG IMG_2241.JPG

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yavapai Stuff

Don't know what the grinding stones are called, but other than arrow heads, this was my best discovery.:skullflag:

Attachments

• Joy Walk 012.jpg
    Joy Walk 012.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 92
  • Joy Walk 011.jpg
    Joy Walk 011.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 93
  • Joy Walk 014.jpg
    Joy Walk 014.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 95
  • Joy Walk 016.jpg
    Joy Walk 016.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 94
  • Joy Walk 017.jpg
    Joy Walk 017.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 100

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They're called bedrock mortars. Its always cool finding those out and about.

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So is this thing Native American? It looks pretty amazing to me! Id love to know more about it and the people who made it.

This is from the Central States Archaeological Journal of April 2015. Our friend Rock was kind enough to mail me this magazine. For some reason the pictures did not down load but, here is the write up;

A Vulture Effigy Pipe From Lee County, Georgia
By Lloyd E. Schroder

I recently had the privilege of getting to know one of our newest friends through the Peach State Archaeological Society web site. I will honor his request by not sharing his name in this report, but his story is one that resonates with many of our members that have used our hobby of artifact collecting as a meaningful way to spend time with family members. Our friend shared with me that he and his family had taken a trip to the Kinchafoonee Creek area in Lee County, Georgia to find some relief from the 101 degree heat on July 1, 2012. The temperatures that summer had been so consistently hot and the drought so severe that the level of the creek was extremely low. The irrigation needs of local farms had further driven water tables to a record low. While standing near the creek, he had noticed a few chips of flint and some sherds of pottery that were visible in the shallow water. His eye then caught a piece of, what appeared to be drift wood, half submerged in the sandy bottom of the creek. You can imagine his surprise when he lifted the “drift wood” out of the water, discovering that it was not only a clay pipe, but that it was a “buzzard holding a human head!” After 35 years of collecting and many nice finds, the Vulture effigy pipe was the find of a lifetime for our friend. While he is proud of his find and more than happy to share it with us through this article and through our web site, he is clearly not interested in selling the pipe. He wants to leave it to his daughter for her future enjoyment.Lamar Complicated Stamped pottery (left) and Lamar Bold Incised pottery (right) were found within a few feet of the Vulture effigy pipe.

The pipe is made of shell-tempered pottery, a strong indication that it is part of the Mississippian period culture. It was found in close association with both Lamar Complicated Stamped (left) and Lamar Bold Incised pottery (right) that dates to the Late Mississippian period, probably between 1350 and 1450 A.D. The date of the pipe is early enough to retain the Quincunx or cross-in-circle symbol of the Southeastern Ceremonial Complex. The Cross in Circle Motif is prevalent in most Native American religions. It has solar connotationsand usually symbolizes the sacred fire that exists in the Middle World. A Cross in Circle Motif combined with a Petaloid Motif symbolized the Above World. The arches with lines and punctations are one of the many Cool Branch Incised design variations. Frank T. and Gail S. Schnell and Vernon J. Knight Jr. (Cemochechobee 1981) gave no suggestion of a symbolic meaning of the arches. Cool Branch pottery was made during the Middle and Late Mississippian periods between 1200 and 1400 A.D. The Vulture eating a human head effigy is clearly a death theme. The sacred fire may continue that theme into the upper world. Neither Lamar or Cool Branch pottery was shell tempered, but many other Late Mississippian pottery types in the central Chattahoochee River were.

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is from the Central States Archaeological Journal of April 2015. Our friend Rock was kind enough to mail me this magazine. For some reason the pictures did not down load but, here is the write up;

A Vulture Effigy Pipe From Lee County, Georgia
By Lloyd E. Schroder

I recently had the privilege of getting to know one of our newest friends through the Peach State Archaeological Society web site. I will honor his request by not sharing his name in this report, but his story is one that resonates with many of our members that have used our hobby of artifact collecting as a meaningful way to spend time with family members. Our friend shared with me that he and his family had taken a trip to the Kinchafoonee Creek area in Lee County, Georgia to find some relief from the 101 degree heat on July 1, 2012. The temperatures that summer had been so consistently hot and the drought so severe that the level of the creek was extremely low. The irrigation needs of local farms had further driven water tables to a record low. While standing near the creek, he had noticed a few chips of flint and some sherds of pottery that were visible in the shallow water. His eye then caught a piece of, what appeared to be drift wood, half submerged in the sandy bottom of the creek. You can imagine his surprise when he lifted the “drift wood” out of the water, discovering that it was not only a clay pipe, but that it was a “buzzard holding a human head!” After 35 years of collecting and many nice finds, the Vulture effigy pipe was the find of a lifetime for our friend. While he is proud of his find and more than happy to share it with us through this article and through our web site, he is clearly not interested in selling the pipe. He wants to leave it to his daughter for her future enjoyment.Lamar Complicated Stamped pottery (left) and Lamar Bold Incised pottery (right) were found within a few feet of the Vulture effigy pipe.

The pipe is made of shell-tempered pottery, a strong indication that it is part of the Mississippian period culture. It was found in close association with both Lamar Complicated Stamped (left) and Lamar Bold Incised pottery (right) that dates to the Late Mississippian period, probably between 1350 and 1450 A.D. The date of the pipe is early enough to retain the Quincunx or cross-in-circle symbol of the Southeastern Ceremonial Complex. The Cross in Circle Motif is prevalent in most Native American religions. It has solar connotationsand usually symbolizes the sacred fire that exists in the Middle World. A Cross in Circle Motif combined with a Petaloid Motif symbolized the Above World. The arches with lines and punctations are one of the many Cool Branch Incised design variations. Frank T. and Gail S. Schnell and Vernon J. Knight Jr. (Cemochechobee 1981) gave no suggestion of a symbolic meaning of the arches. Cool Branch pottery was made during the Middle and Late Mississippian periods between 1200 and 1400 A.D. The Vulture eating a human head effigy is clearly a death theme. The sacred fire may continue that theme into the upper world. Neither Lamar or Cool Branch pottery was shell tempered, but many other Late Mississippian pottery types in the central Chattahoochee River were.

That is one amazing find for sure. I always enjoy learning about artifacts. People tend to think of our Native American cousins as being very primitive, but artifacts like these show they were very much an intelligent, thinking people. Part of the reason I love the Southwest so much, with all of our ancient Indian ruins and irrigation canals and so forth. They were some truly amazing people.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
I wonder if that's made of Minnesota Pipestone? I went to where the red Rock quarries are once.

Sure looks like pipestone to me. I live within a couple dozen miles of Pipestone Minn. it's not uncommon here.

tnmudman

Feb 12, 2017
middle tennessee
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ammoman I think that may be a hatchet/hammer possibly from the colonial or trade era , so it could have belonged to an indian, though it was made by white men. That is just my guess.

yakker

Bronze Member
Jan 20, 2012
Down East
Detector(s) used
spec enhanced eyeballs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi folks! Jumping in (a little late, as usual) with these two. The notched (pendant?) is the most unique and remains full of questions. The second is a beautiful paleo point. Both give me a thrill to hold- even to this day ;)

1022171306.jpg 1022171307.jpg

1022171307a.jpg 1022171307b.jpg

Thanks for looking !

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oct 15, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Welcome aboard brandybobo

i think the edge was grooved to provided for a better grip. The opposing ends are so highly polished it had to have been doing a lot of rubbing on something.

jamus peek

May 13, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a rare find of mine it is a creek find. It is a phallic plummet/charmstone. I have found a few but this one is a big one almost 8 inches. The glans were used as the groove. It could have also been used as a mano because one side is flattened. The last pic shows some possible paint flakes still intact.

150895972717372888460.jpg

20171023_130926.jpg 20171023_130933.jpg 20171023_131025.jpg 20171023_115519.jpg 20171023_115541.jpg

Attachments

• 20171023_115602.jpg
    20171023_115602.jpg
    505.6 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

Mark Todd

Apr 22, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
An interesting rock, what's it look like on the other side and from a side view?

SpectateSwamp

Oct 27, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sacred Medicine Stone maybe?

This stone popped out of a gravel crusher in 1972..

I have 2 others that are almost as cool.

DigIron2

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2014
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher f75/1270/1266x/Radio Shack Treasure tracker/
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You guys have some very nice stuff.Mine would probably be this claystone gorget and the fresh water pearl. The gorget is a personal find but I didn't find it in the field. I found under my granddads bed in a cigar box after he passed. The pearl I found on A Archaic site. It looks like it was half polished before it was lost. IMG_1468.JPG IMG_1467.JPG

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread