Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
I agree with Charlie. I would have called it a hafted digging tool (hoe, pick, etc.) I've seen a lot similar forms made from some type of indurated mudstone in Atlantic Canada.

Quick tool, but still a tool.

OP
OP
billvettman

billvettman

Tenderfoot
Nov 5, 2017
Hudson,Ma.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Charl
Thanks for all the info and help. I always thought it was something. Glad your on this site I will be hunting this week on farm fields in NY while deer hunting. Will post if I find anything.

Thanks again
Bill

OP
OP
billvettman

billvettman

Tenderfoot
Nov 5, 2017
Hudson,Ma.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks Charl for all the info everything you said seems right on glad your on this site. will post other finds when I can.
Thanks again
Bill

CHUDs

Feb 13, 2014
Santa Cruz, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Charl, thanks for the breakdown on materials used in the S. New England region...I spend a few weeks on NAntucket each year (hometown) and my friends have wonderful collections. The hand axes and choppers all have the same look as the OPs and your photos.

Rockfarmer

Tenderfoot
Oct 26, 2023
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I think what can fool folks here is the fact that it's likely in an unfinished stage of production, as well as the appearance of poor quality lithics common to New England pieces. If you don't know our regional rhyolites, it can look like a rock, more so if the piece is still a stage and not finished. If I had to guess type, the type of shoulders and the lobate shape stem suggests Adena related, but normally the stem would not be that short on an Adena related piece. Another possibility would be a Lagoon point, but that's questionable as well because the shoulders are almost always much weaker in Lagoons. Still a piece of prehistory, and hence still a nice find, IMHO....

Edit: here is an example of a poor New England lithic, argillite of a type that is argillaceous slate(in contrast, Pa argillite is argillaceous shale), showing the original cobble cortex and a minimum of reduction or flaking. In this instance, it's actually a finished piece, as this is an end pick, which was a tool used in steatite quarrying in southern New England. But, I have to imagine it could easily be judged as "just a rock" if one is simply not used to seeing lithics as poor as this....

View attachment 1513031
New to the forum here,sorry to revive such an old thread but the information in the posts has really shed some light on what I am finding here in the NC slate belt. Large crudely made argillaceous mudstone tools, lots of fragments, abrading stones and color changes in the soil. I have spent over a month researching the internet trying to find information on the lithics of these stone tools and this one thread has more information that is in line with what I'm finding than hours of reading elsewhere

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like the results of rocks smashing on rocks. Was it done intentionally or naturally I can't say.

Rockfarmer

Tenderfoot
Oct 26, 2023
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks like the results of rocks smashing on rocks. Was it done intentionally or naturally I can't say.

Most of the tools I am finding have been altered for hand holds. There is a range of hardness in this stone that varies and a lot of the tools have been abraded with recesses for fingers,thumbs and shaped for maximum leverage in your hand. Part of my identifying process is rotating the piece until I find the hand position and then that naturally reveals the work surface. The softer materials are more for digging not actually breaking other rocks. But there are all kinds of tools here for abrading other stones mixed with harder materials for chopping. I am going to start a new thread soon with some background on the lithics of the area and maybe some pictures and hopefully it will make more sense

CreekSide

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2023
Most of the tools I am finding have been altered for hand holds. There is a range of hardness in this stone that varies and a lot of the tools have been abraded with recesses for fingers,thumbs and shaped for maximum leverage in your hand. Part of my identifying process is rotating the piece until I find the hand position and then that naturally reveals the work surface. The softer materials are more for digging not actually breaking other rocks. But there are all kinds of tools here for abrading other stones mixed with harder materials for chopping. I am going to start a new thread soon with some background on the lithics of the area and maybe some pictures and hopefully it will make more sense
I’ve seen your so called tools on the other site you are posting on. They are nothing but rubbish and rocks.

Rockfarmer

Tenderfoot
Oct 26, 2023
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I’ve seen your so called tools on the other site you are posting on. They are nothing but rubbish and rocks.
That is a fairly accurate definition of what I am finding crudely made disposable tools. It has a lot to do with the stone material used,sedimentary rock of various hardness and that is why I started posting on this particular thread that has described the purpose of crude stone tools used to quarry stone for more stone tools. Not a perfect analogy but if you have a pile of cheap Chinese made 9/16 wrenches versus one made by Mack Tools when one breaks you most likely are not going to take the time to repair it, you just grab another one

Hbot37

Bronze Member
Jul 7, 2022
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is an item I found years ago as a kid, anyone know anything on this Ma. find.http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/a...tachmentid=1513010&d=1509970737&thumb=1&stc=1

I think what can fool folks here is the fact that it's likely in an unfinished stage of production, as well as the appearance of poor quality lithics common to New England pieces. If you don't know our regional rhyolites, it can look like a rock, more so if the piece is still a stage and not finished. If I had to guess type, the type of shoulders and the lobate shape stem suggests Adena related, but normally the stem would not be that short on an Adena related piece. Another possibility would be a Lagoon point, but that's questionable as well because the shoulders are almost always much weaker in Lagoons. Still a piece of prehistory, and hence still a nice find, IMHO....

Edit: here is an example of a poor New England lithic, argillite of a type that is argillaceous slate(in contrast, Pa argillite is argillaceous shale), showing the original cobble cortex and a minimum of reduction or flaking. In this instance, it's actually a finished piece, as this is an end pick, which was a tool used in steatite quarrying in southern New England. But, I have to imagine it could easily be judged as "just a rock" if one is simply not used to seeing lithics as poor as this....

View attachment 1513031

Large tool arrowhead

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/a...asset.php?fid=1246163&uid=121940&d=1510005072

Here are more photo's showing the other edge and thickness of the peace. I hear what Tpmetal is saying buy it looks like nature could have flaked the top area (big chunks) but it looks like edge flaking as well to sharpen. I thought it was a Knife as well, someone said years ago that it might be a point for whaling. I think Charl's statement that it is an unfinished peace sound's good to me and I would like to think thats what it is. The peace was found on my property back in the 60's and there is no slate there.

Thanks for all the help as I am new to this arrowhead hunting but I am learning thanks to you all.http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1513140&d=1510007289&thumb=1&stc=1http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=1513142&d=1510007397&thumb=1&stc=1

These all just look like natural rocks. I think the arrowhead shape in the initial post is just coincidence. If your "end pick" was used to quarry stone, why doesnt it show any signs of being used? A tool used in a quarry would certainly be worn from use.

Rockfarmer

Tenderfoot
Oct 26, 2023
North Carolina
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
These all just look like natural rocks. I think the arrowhead shape in the initial post is just coincidence. If your "end pick" was used to quarry stone, why doesnt it show any signs of being used? A tool used in a quarry would certainly be worn from use.
This is a really old thread that I started posting on due to the similar stone materials. I just checked in while stopping for lunch but plan to start a new thread on this subject later maybe tonight if I have time and I will post some pics of my findings if someone is interested. Thanks for the interest on this subject I can use all the input I receive being new to finding stone tools but I apologize for any confusion dredging up an old thread

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread