diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Victor, CO...City of Mines
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this lamp at the thrift store, I couldn't pass it up. It looks pit fired, has an incredible glaze. It sure looks handmade. The chip in the top looks old. I am sure it has a hole in the bottom. The shade looks from the 60's or earlier. I am hoping someone made an incredibly old pot into a lamp at sometime. Probably just made to look old. 10 inches tall, 13 across. Looks like a burnished slip glaze. The clay particles are different sizes which makes me think it is authentic! Thanks for any help. I sure appreciate the knowledge here. I love learning!! 1108170920-1.jpg 1108170920b-1.jpg 1109170813_Burst01.jpg 1109170809_Burst01.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It definitely looks right for some old southern Arizona pottery, but I know the natives around here still make this kind of pottery for traditional and educational purposes, and you can see some of it on display at one of our museums down here. Its a difficult piece to tell, in my opinion. Maybe an archaeologist that really knows pottery could help.

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It could be the real deal, for sure though. I have an old Indian pot or two that somebody must have found around here a long time ago. One is plain, just like yours, only much smaller, and the other is basically the same, although some idiot put a nice thick coat of modern red paint around the outside. Im thinking it was some hippy back in the 1970s, who didn't quite know what the thing was.

OP
OP
diggingthe1

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My friend just stopped by and ID it as tarahumara copper canyon pottery. Coil made in Mexico. They have been making them for a long time time, but probably not very old. It should sell in my little antique store next summer. Thanks for the post Old Pueblo. I fell in love with all the pottery displayed at the Grand Canyon last Summer!!!

Old Pueblo

Bronze Member
Mar 7, 2017
Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That makes sense as to why it looks very similar to our Arizona pottery. It may not be very old, buts its still a great piece with some history on it.

OP
OP
diggingthe1

diggingthe1

Silver Member
Feb 11, 2015
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800, Ex2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You all in Arizona have some amazing history of pottery. It is absolutely incredible. My friend used to collect pottery and came down in a heartbeat. He has some fabulous pieces. Thanks for the post!

wassermj

Apr 5, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought this was an entirely different thread. I was excited to finally be able to lend my expertise.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only pot I ever bought ended up being a reproduction and its worth just what I paid for it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread