Washington Beach Wood

scepter1

May 17, 2011
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Petrified (agatized/opalized) Wood

Side A is "polished" so smooth that I dropped it twice trying to take a photo without covering up the overshot(?) knapping.

DSCN2558.JPG

Side B

DSCN2560.JPG

Upvote 0

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful material. Petrified wood in my area never seems to be agatized like that.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope you find some finished out of that material what a smoker it would be.

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
I have been collecting since 1967, I have seen few petrified wood relics. Fewer high grade.
In the region I actively search, I would theorize I have a close to zero chance of finding any relic made of petrified wood. Could happen, but I would be shocked.

If they were using petrified wood for relics, there would be petrified wood flakes found around the sites, in addition to that relic you found. petrified wood makes a very nice looking relic.

Here is a fine 2 13/16" Petrified Wood Clovis. Rogers COA. Northern Sold For: $800.00
See Tony Putty Auction held Oct 21 2017

OP
OP
scepter1

scepter1

May 17, 2011
Western Washington
Primary Interest:
I have been collecting since 1967, I have seen few petrified wood relics. Fewer high grade.
In the region I actively search, I would theorize I have a close to zero chance of finding any relic made of petrified wood. Could happen, but I would be shocked.

If they were using petrified wood for relics, there would be petrified wood flakes found around the sites, in addition to that relic you found. petrified wood makes a very nice looking relic.

Here is a fine 2 13/16" Petrified Wood Clovis. Rogers COA. Northern Sold For: $800.00
See Tony Putty Auction held Oct 21 2017

This petrified (agatized/opalized) wood point was brought here, so no quality wood flakes available. It was found in Western Washington on a Puget sound beach, but was knapped in Eastern Washington on the other side of the Cascade Mouintains, or perhaps Eastern Oregon. I have also found knapped wood pieces of local wood, but the wood here is not high quality and the knapping shows rather poor results.

High quality wood that I dug on Saddle Mountains in Eastern Washington:

DSCF0098.JPG cropped.JPG a opal wood 1.JPG

DSCF0097.JPG opal wood 2.JPG

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
hard to beat the variety in Washington State for lithics...we are spoiled that way.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
whenever you post it makes me want to hit the beach...jonesing in a big way right now....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread