Chris Schenkel BC's Wide World of Sports - Indian relic Collector

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
This 48 card Hassan Cork Tip Cigarette card collection from 1910 of the Indian "Life in the 60's" was given to me as a gift by John Baldwin of Michigan, March 2007 at the Central States Archaeological Societies Collinsville Illinois meeting / show.

This full collection of the "Life in the 60's" was obtained by John from the estate of Chris Schenkel after Chris's death. Chris was a collector of Native American Artifacts, relics and related items.

Chris Shenkel born August 21 1923 in Bippus Indiana, died September 11 2005 in Fort Wayne Indiana was an American sportscaster. Over the course of five decades he called play-by-play for numerous sporting events on television and radio, becoming known for his smooth delivery and baritone voice. Chris Schenkel was an American sportscaster for ABC's Wide World of Sports.

In 1971, Schenkel, a longtime friend of the late Indianapolis Motor Speedway owner Tony Hulman, was a passenger in the pace car for that years Indianapolis 500 race. Astronaut John Glenn and Hulman were also in the car when its driver, Indianapolis area Dodge dealer Eldon Palmer, crashed the 1971 Dodge Challenger convertible into a section of bleachers at the beginning of the race. Someone had moved the flag Parmer had positioned as a breaking reference point, leading to the incident that injured twenty-two people, mostly photographers. Schenkel and the car's other occupants were not seriously injured.

John Baldwin, American Indian Art Collector and author of the book series "Of the American Frontier" was an active collector of Indian relics specializing in weapons, authentication, and appraisals for all related antique Indian artifacts.

John Baldwin Author of The Series "Of The American Frontier" passes away Dec 8 2009.

20151123_083502.jpg 20151123_083233.jpg

Upvote 0
OP
OP
dognose

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
I fat fingered the title - ABC

Note when I got these, they were not framed. I got a gift of the cards and then spent close to $300.00 having them professionally mounted in nice frames.

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
Those are really cool. I always thought Mr. Schenkel was a great sports announcer. It is nice to know he was interested in the artifacts etc. Thanks for sharing.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread