My first find of 2018

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Due to the weather and whatnot today was the first day I could go to my creek to hunt, I didn't find pottery or projectile points but was lucky to find a piece of a soapstone bowl. This is the 3rd piece of soapstone I've found and very happy with it since it's an Archaic artifact. Thanks for looking and HH!

This is the inside and it's smooth like soap WP_20180120_006.jpg
This is the outside and you can see maybe some carving or markings, maybe a design
or just there where they made the bowl WP_20180120_004.jpg
Side view and you can see the curve WP_20180120_005.jpg

Upvote 0

ptsofnc

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. I've never found anything made of soapstone as far as I know. Glad somebody in NC has got out this month. Brutal January.

OP
OP
NCPeaches

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. I've never found anything made of soapstone as far as I know. Glad somebody in NC has got out this month. Brutal January.

Finding soapstone raises all kinds of questions for me, like where were they mining it at, I live near a south mountain range and I know they have it in the northern mountains, pretty sure they didn't trade it like the hardstones, no telling where it was coming from here. Yes it has been brutal and I hope it's back to being mild for a little while, I hate snow and ice lol

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like the Soapstone I have only found around 3 pieces in about 5 yrs. Hope the rest pops out for you.

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like the Soapstone I have only found around 3 pieces in about 5 yrs. Hope the rest pops out for you.

Only ever found 2 pieces but they were both cool pieces one was half a banner stone and they other I believe is a pendant , it’s square with 2 Small’s holes drilled all the way thru

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only ever found 2 pieces but they were both cool pieces one was half a banner stone and they other I believe is a pendant , it’s square with 2 Small’s holes drilled all the way thru

That sounds real nice mine are just bowl pieces.

willjo

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2015
Twin City, Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 350 and Garrett ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find, I find a few pieces of soapstone also, bowl pieces piece of gorget and boiling stones.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread