Overstreet Next Edition

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Attn Colllectors: We are now accepting artifact submissions for the OVERSTREET NEXT EDITION Indian Arrowheads Identification & Price Guide! A lot of hard work has went into making this publication the most accurate to date and here's your chance to be a part of it. The artifacts that you submit do not have to be the biggest or sexiest, I'm really just looking for classic examples of their respective types. So, be sure to submit those field-grade relics as well! There are certain types that will be needed more than others (I'll compile a list for each region later), but you can submit anything that you like. Here's the criteria for the images:

(1) Clear photo with white or black background.

(2) 300 DPI is prefered, with image files no larger than 1mb each.

(3) Place a ruler next to the artifact (but not touching) to show scale, if possible.

(4) Include as much information as possible (material, beveling, smoothed edges, etc).

If you have any questions at all, please don't hesitate to ask.

The link to the submission page is Over Street Next Edition - Typology Submission

Thanks!
Matt Rowe

Upvote 0

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
I have been putting in some time submitting a bunch too Steve.

Artifact rich South Dakota has been way under-represented in the prior publications, and we happen to be split into two regions. East half of state being in the North Central section, then, from the Missouri river region west, in the high plains region.

OP
OP
Neanderthal

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Jusr curious how many people are sending in some pictures. I have sent in a bunch and hope they pick at least a few to publish in the book. I have some pieces published in one of Jim Bennets books. It's pretty cool to open a book and see your own pieces.

There's quite a few, which is a good thing. I've went through quite a few and I think that there are 600-700+ submissions still waiting to be sorted through right now. The larger the pool of artifacts that we have to draw from, the better the book will be. When I do figure out which types that we will definitely need more images of I will let everyone now.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been putting in some time submitting a bunch too Steve.

Artifact rich South Dakota has been way under-represented in the prior publications, and we happen to be split into two regions. East half of state being in the North Central section, then, from the Missouri river region west, in the high plains region.

I have a few South Dakota pieces. I'll get some pictures and submit them.

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I have two questions as well , is there a deadline? and what color or type of backing do you prefer? Sorry i reread your info i see you want black or white.

Last edited:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wondering how you know what size your pictures are when you send them? I have plenty of fields grade finds from N GA as most know thats usually the types I find.

dump_digger

Dec 22, 2016
Arizona
Detector(s) used
White's prizm 950
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm going to try and get some in as well because in previous editiond I feel Arizona is underrepresented. Unfortunately I don't have ready access to some of the better pieces.

OP
OP
Neanderthal

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
I was wondering how you know what size your pictures are when you send them? I have plenty of fields grade finds from N GA as most know thats usually the types I find.

You can check the image size / resolution in your graphics program, like photoshop. However, as long as the images are crisp and clear I wouldn't worry too awful much about resolution. There have been several people who have submitted images taken with their cell phones and they look fine to me. Lighting matters a lot. If you can, I would recommend taking pics outdoors - you just can't beat natural light.

Here's something that I have been using as a backdrop for flint pics for a while now. Jewelry board/trays. They're very inexpensive and work great! They are hard and covered in velvet, so you don't have to worry about much about light reflecting. You can get them in white, black, or gray...I have several of each. https://www.amazon.com/Wire-Sculptu...=1517852320&sr=1-5&keywords=velvet+tray+board

OP
OP
Neanderthal

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
I'm going to try and get some in as well because in previous editiond I feel Arizona is underrepresented. Unfortunately I don't have ready access to some of the better pieces.

Great! We can use some more from that area.

BearCreek

Apr 10, 2016
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 300
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Jusr curious how many people are sending in some pictures. I have sent in a bunch and hope they pick at least a few to publish in the book. I have some pieces published in one of Jim Bennets books. It's pretty cool to open a book and see your own pieces.
. I am definitely sending my banner find as well as several of the nicer points I found last year.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Going to try and send some pics today of course its overcast

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there a cut off time for submissions?

OP
OP
Neanderthal

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
There is no cutoff date. I will be accepting pics until the book is finished. We are hoping to have it wrapped up by the first of April, but nothing is concrete yet. I would submit the pics as soon as possible though.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is no cutoff date. I will be accepting pics until the book is finished. We are hoping to have it wrapped up by the first of April, but nothing is concrete yet. I would submit the pics as soon as possible though.

I have a lot of triangles bigger and tiny if you need more examples. Lets us know if you fall short on any types I have more I can send if I didnt send enough.

OP
OP
Neanderthal

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
ATTENTION: The cutoff date for the Overstreet "Next" Edition submissions is March 17. So, if you wish to have any of your artifacts considered for inclusion, now is the time to submit them! Images must be of individual artifacts and they have to be on a black or white background. They do not have to be top-shelf perfect examples, but they do need to be classic examples of their respective type. You can submit your images at http://www.overstreetnextedition.com . Here's a few types that we really could use more, or better, examples of :
Arkabutla
Aux Arc
Breckenridge
Burkett
Carter
Covington (Per Jelks original definition)
Craig (Tribute)
Current River (Eastern Missouri and surrounding areas)
Dawson
Dyroff
Edwards Arrow
Epps
Fayette (MO, ILL, Iowa)
Friday (Per Jelks original definition)
Garden
Gober (eastern OK, Western AR)
Go-Cart
Gower
Hempstead
Hoxie
Klunk
Laguna
Mackinaw
Mahaffey
Moran
Morhiss
Nettleton
Norton
osceola
Ozan Creek
Peisker Diamond (from NE AR)
Petit Jean River
Pinwah
Pulaski
Racoon Notched
Refugio
Rice Lobed
Rio Grand
Rice Side Notch
Schild Spike
Shetley
Steuben
Vian Creek
White River
Woodruff
Yarbrough

welsbury

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2010
Eastern oregon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Must have a enough of western point submissions, most everything I see is Midwestern or Eastern stuff.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread