Fisher F70
Upvote 0

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I recorded it and just finished watching. Lots and lots of fakes and "Cherokee" Points you can get in any gift shop down there. I saw an entire frame of Flint Fish Hooks and one of Thunderbirds, plus some Tussingers as pointed out above. There were a lot of good pieces but for the most part they all looked like field grade or just a little better. It would interesting to see it in person.

Another thing, did anyone else notice the knapping tool in the old mans hand in the photo they kept showing? Sure looked like one to me. lol

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got to watch it also, sure was a heck of a lot. Will try & visit there on next trip to NC.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
I've seen a couple of collections like that. They tend to get framed like that when the original owner also has an interest in wood working and figures out a way to make a lot of frames. And then they just fill frames.

I see a lot of decent mid grade points, but the bulk of it seems to be pretty much field grade stuff that has been nicely framed and some showy old fakes (Tussinger style points, flint fish hooks, reworks, etc.)

The collection is impressive because of the size/volume, but from what I saw on the clip it seems like the new owner is simply making some publicity for his tourist attraction. (And that's cool, roadside tourist traps like that are fun for kids and better than staring at an iPhone screen on a road trip.)

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mystery Hill! I've seen the collection but didn't get to look at it a long time because the grandson and I were having fun in the mystery hill side, this was about 10 years ago. Pretty sure they are Cherokee artifacts up that way and yes a massive collection. Thanks for sharing it dognose, it's really cool!

Just reread the article and saw where they collected them from all over the US so not all from NC.

Last edited:

the_mad_cladder

Jan 2, 2015
North Carolina
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus with all the coils, MI-6 pinpointer, Ace350 and Garrett pro pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I’ve been there if it’s the place between blowing rock and Boone. Some of that stuff is not quiet right. They got flint swastikas and fish hooks that look too good. Most of it looks authentic. Its worth stopping but it’s not something I would go a great distance out of my way for. I had some pics on my old computer that melted down.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread