Nothing big, but it’s big to me

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Outside of Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,

Returned from Maryland a couple of days ago. Searched a short strip of the elk river, and didn’t come up with anything. Decided to leave and was about to walk up my friend’s staircase on the hill leading from the beach to the house, and decided to peek at the exposed dirt area on the hill.

For the first time ever, I found something sticking out of the dirt. I thought it was going to be just a normal old stone, but something compelled me to video it just in case. I’m glad I did.

This is probably just a flake, but for someone just starting out and just beginning to learn the ropes of this addicting hobby, I’m ecstatic about it. It means my hard work is starting to pay off, and I’m learning where to search.

Or this is just a normal old stone and I’m about to get let down really fast, lol...

Here are pics of my cold morning, the hill, a screenshot of my video when I saw the stone sticking out, and the amazing sunset that would soon follow.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1516680618.629266.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1516680645.554547.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1516680663.018484.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1516680686.024722.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1516680702.809529.jpg

Upvote 0

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe post a few more pics of the piece but I would say yea definitely something material looks rite may be a scraper or something that’s broken would love to see more pics. Glad to see you find something and it’s a good indicator for what else may be there.

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks! Here are a few more photos.
I also included a photo with a couple other flakes (I believe could be) along with the one piece I found sticking out of the ground.

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1516712616.081296.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1516712631.250762.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1516712645.246020.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1516712675.899305.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1516712761.226408.jpg

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like your on to something hopefully a nice point will reveal itself soon. I think all the ice helps reveal some new material and it’s nice looking rite now since most of the algae and debris is gone.

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s what I’m hoping for! I’ve found two beautiful points here before. I’ll keep at it as often as I can make my way there!

jmaschal

May 29, 2015
Maryland
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If you have permission looks like a good place to garden rake and a few test holes... keep at it your work will pay off in a great location. So happy for the warm up... going to give it a go this weekend.

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’m planning on going back this weekend as well. I thought about the rake idea just today. I never did it. Is it simply raking at the water line? Exactly where the stone piles are at low tide? Do I sift afterwards? Lastly, should I use any old rake, or is there one more designed for artifact hunting? I don’t mind spending the money if there is something that could rake and “pull” items from the ground. Don’t even know if such a tool exists. Thanks!

jmaschal

May 29, 2015
Maryland
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
As much as you can do the better. I would only sift once you Id some hot spots. I don’t do much digging so not the person to discuss sifting techniques. But I would around the brush area around that ridge to expose more dirt. U just need simple tools. I wouldn’t rake around those gravel bars too big of rocks. Just focus on clearing the brush and expose more dirt. ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1516768444.244798.jpg

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had pretty good luck with just regular metal rake like one jmaschal posted pic of also take 5 gallon bucket to splash water on area after you rake will help wash the top layer of sand off.

coosakid

Nov 3, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had pretty good luck with just regular metal rake like one jmaschal posted pic of also take 5 gallon bucket to splash water on area after you rake will help wash the top layer of sand off.
The bucket definitely helps.... Most of the time it seems like an Arrowhead has more of a glossy look compared to natural rocks especially when wet

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great advice, thank you! So when you say the brush area, do you mean closest to the hill? If so, the issue with that is it’s my friends place and at the bottom of the hill (I believe) is grass. Then it turns in to the beach area, which if I’m not mistaken is sand that was placed there by the owners. And THEN it turns in to the real beach and sand, where all of that gravel is.

jmaschal

May 29, 2015
Maryland
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Most artifacts are washed to the banks from erosion. I would focus on the lip of dirt closest to the hill. Remember most artifacts are not buried deep especially the woodland and late archaic pieces that make up the bulk of your area. Do your best another exploratory search will not hurt. Best of luck.

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will definitely be doing that. I hope this weekend. How deep is too deep do you think? I’d have to lift the top layer, which I believe has grass on it.

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just saw some photos I took to see what the area below the hill looks like. It immediately turns to grass. Then about 20 feet in front of the hill, it turns to sand that leads to the beach.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions