Is this an artifact? Found in a creek bed

cloudboy

Feb 1, 2018
Western KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What the heck is this thing? It stuck out like a sore thumb to me. Seems it has to be man made, it has a lip running all around the outside

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg
4.jpg

Found in Central KY.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
C

cloudboy

Feb 1, 2018
Western KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed, we used them on our electric fences in Kentucky.

It was in the middle of the woods, and I highly doubt there was ever a fence there. It could have washed downstream, I suppose.

Possible to be a grindstone?

I don't see how it could be an insulator. It's not glass, and wouldn't the hole be in the center?

Last edited:

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well, what is it made of? Stone, metal, pottery?

1graeman

Mar 7, 2013
Tucson, AZ
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like a electric fence insulator that has worn down from tumbling in the creekbed for some time. You can see in the 3rd picture the indent where the fence was wrapped around the insulator. The hole is the nail hole that attaches to the fence post.

OP
OP
C

cloudboy

Feb 1, 2018
Western KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a electric fence insulator that has worn down from tumbling in the creekbed for some time. You can see in the 3rd picture the indent where the fence was wrapped around the insulator. The hole is the nail hole that attaches to the fence post.

Well that's disappointing!

NCPeaches

Silver Member
Mar 24, 2013
Western Piedmont North Carolina
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cloudboy, have you found anything else in the creek like old bottles or other artifacts such as projectile points, flakes or pottery? Don't be disappointed because creeks carry things pretty far from the original place of origin. Keep walking your creek, I feel confident something else interesting will show up.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Kinda looks like an American Indian artifact. Maybe a small bowl for grinding herbs or medicine. The hole may have held it around the neck for convenience. Just a guess.

sawmill man

Jun 12, 2016
KENTUCKY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I would hang on to it , dont have a clue myself , but i have never seen a insulator like that or couldn't find one on the net like it , it almost looks like potters clay.

OP
OP
C

cloudboy

Feb 1, 2018
Western KY
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cloudboy, have you found anything else in the creek like old bottles or other artifacts such as projectile points, flakes or pottery? Don't be disappointed because creeks carry things pretty far from the original place of origin. Keep walking your creek, I feel confident something else interesting will show up.

I just bought this land, it's my first few times walking it. I will continue to look!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread