Indian stone tools>

skizman

Greenie
Feb 5, 2018
NW S. Carolina
Primary Interest:
Other
My father found these over 60 yrs. ago in Greenwood Lake, NY. There are 3 arrowheads and 3 scrapers. I would like to know if they are worth selling and what they're worth. The large scraper on the right is interesting. Very smooth type of rock and looks to me like it has a fossil of some kind...feather....ribs....running along it's length??? I wish I could find out what kind of rock it is but not sure where to start. I saw one website that charges 25$ each piece for an appraisal. Can't afford 150$ for all 6.

I sure would appreciate any input!!!
Thanks!!!! SAM_0941.JPG

Upvote 0

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
I’d forget about getting any appraisal. Nice pieces, more than likely authentic, just not worth the expense.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
I wouldn't sell them. That's just me. I would make a shadow box and display them. The are a really nice piece of history.:thumb_up:

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice group of artifacts You should really consider holding onto them unless your in a tight spot financially and have to sell them. There not going to bring a huge amount of money and the fact your father found them is really cool I would hold onto them for sure maybe pass onto your kids one day if you have kids.

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
I agree, save your money.

The IAGA (Indian Artifact Grading Authority) and many other authenticators can be spoken to and/or their services utilized at the Central States Archaeological Societies Collinsville show coming up March 16th.

However for these relic I would not have them authenticated for a few reasons.
1) your father found them, they are authentic
2) the cost outweighs the benefits

I have used a few of the different
authenticators over the years on more rare relics, but rarely. I don't put much stock in some of them. Their opinions are not worth any more than mine. I have as much or more experience and years of collecting. I still field hunt and many of them do not. I have had relics I found discounted, which makes me raise eyebrows at their words. Most of them are in it to make a buck. Most if not all you will hear both pro and con for their services. Some collectors will never use this one or that, but will talk up one. Other collectors will only purchase if a relic has been papered.

Take them to a show and sell them, place an ad or give them to a relative. If you take them to a show to sell, don't be surprised if they low ball an offer. You would get more from a private sale to another collector.

The celts and adz are not extremely rare. Over the years I have found many of each, possibly close to a hundred or so.

20170619_192652_resized.jpg
20170123_152153_resized.jpg
20170619_105438_resozed.jpg

John Berner, past CSASI officer, wrote a very good paper on authenticators. I knew John and respected his word. Read his column here on Arrowheads.com

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

skizman

Greenie
Feb 5, 2018
NW S. Carolina
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree, save your money.

The IAGA (Indian Artifact Grading Authority) and many other authenticators can be spoken to and/or their services utilized at the Central States Archaeological Societies Collinsville show coming up March 16th.

However for these relic I would not have them authenticated for a few reasons.
1) your father found them, they are authentic
2) the cost outweighs the benefits

I have used a few of the different
authenticators over the years on more rare relics, but rarely. I don't put much stock in some of them. Their opinions are not worth any more than mine. I have as much or more experience and years of collecting. I still field hunt and many of them do not. I have had relics I found discounted, which makes me raise eyebrows at their words. Most of them are in it to make a buck. Most if not all you will hear both pro and con for their services. Some collectors will never use this one or that, but will talk up one. Other collectors will only purchase if a relic has been papered.

Take them to a show and sell them, place an ad or give them to a relative. If you take them to a show to sell, don't be surprised if they low ball an offer. You would get more from a private sale to another collector.

The celts and adz are not extremely rare. Over the years I have found many of each, possibly close to a hundred or so.

View attachment 1547449
View attachment 1547450
View attachment 1547451

John Berner, past CSASI officer, wrote a very good paper on authenticators. I knew John and respected his word. Read his column here on Arrowheads.com

Nice collection you have!!!! I read John Berners post and yeah...these dealers are wolves with sheep's clothing. Now I don't trust anyone. LOL. But you're right, it's all a gray area with getting a COA from what it looks. Also I don't have anyone to leave these tools to so if I can get a few bucks, it's a good thing. BUT...that long beige tool with the markings (ribs or whatever) has get me puzzled. It's hard to tell from the pic but the ribs are actually deep, and there's a fine line that surrounds the entire length around the ribs. Maybe a fossilized jaw bone? It's just a strange piece, very different from any type of celt pic's I've seen on the web. Maybe I can take it to the geological dept. at the Clemson University and see what they think??? I dunno.
I really appreciate your input and taking out the time to type.
Thank you very much!!!!!

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Guys are on eBay selling obvious fakes all with COA's. Week after week they have amazing points, banner stones, gorgets, pipes, etc. I mean how can you get your hands on such a variety of perfect, rare items. Anyway people buy them with their worthless papers.

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice collection you have!!!! I read John Berners post and yeah...these dealers are wolves with sheep's clothing. Now I don't trust anyone. LOL. But you're right, it's all a gray area with getting a COA from what it looks. Also I don't have anyone to leave these tools to so if I can get a few bucks, it's a good thing. BUT...that long beige tool with the markings (ribs or whatever) has get me puzzled. It's hard to tell from the pic but the ribs are actually deep, and there's a fine line that surrounds the entire length around the ribs. Maybe a fossilized jaw bone? It's just a strange piece, very different from any type of celt pic's I've seen on the web. Maybe I can take it to the geological dept. at the Clemson University and see what they think??? I dunno.
I really appreciate your input and taking out the time to type.
Thank you very much!!!!!

Check to see if there is any artifact shows coming near your home. If there is go to the show and look at the tables of displayed artifacts. Leave your stuff in the trunk so you dont have to carry them until you find somebody that would be interested in them. There should be at least 1 or 2 people displaying hard stone pieces. Talk with them and look at their prices posted on pieces like yours. Then ask them if they would be interested in seeing yours. Dont mention that you want to sell them till after they have a chance to handle them. As they pick yours up they will be looking at them look at their eyes to see if they like them and then after they went through the whole collection and handled them ask if they would like to buy any and maybe all of them. Good Luck

OP
OP
S

skizman

Greenie
Feb 5, 2018
NW S. Carolina
Primary Interest:
Other
I took my stone tools to Clemson University and briefly met with a Geologist and an Anthropologist. They said that long one with the ribs is not a fossil but all 6 tools are cool..unique...ect but that was about it. They also said...like you guys have said...that getting a COA is only worth the paper it's written on, plus selling artifacts is actually against the law but not taken seriously.
Guess I'll try to sell the group on Ebay. Any suggestions what to ask$ for them???
You guys have been great and I appreciate your time and input!!!
Thank you!

dts52

Bronze Member
Jun 20, 2015
NW CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox800 / AT Pro / AT Gold / Makro Racer
Vibra-probe / TRX pp
Primary Interest:
Other
View attachment 1546474
C and D are either a celt or adz.

E could be a elk or deer scapula ground to use a tool. the patina over the years, or the minerals in the ground were absorbed into it changing it to the current shades

I think you nailed it dognose!
HH
dts

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I took my stone tools to Clemson University and briefly met with a Geologist and an Anthropologist. They said that long one with the ribs is not a fossil but all 6 tools are cool..unique...ect but that was about it. They also said...like you guys have said...that getting a COA is only worth the paper it's written on, plus selling artifacts is actually against the law but not taken seriously.
Guess I'll try to sell the group on Ebay. Any suggestions what to ask$ for them???
You guys have been great and I appreciate your time and input!!!
Thank you!

Unless your artifacts were collected on public land, or unless they were collected from human burials, I have no idea why they would tell you something so mistaken as "it's actually against the law". That is bull!!

mainejman

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2012
maine
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first stone tool I'm guessing is an adze and the second is a gouge..Nice artifacts

OP
OP
S

skizman

Greenie
Feb 5, 2018
NW S. Carolina
Primary Interest:
Other
Unless your artifacts were collected on public land, or unless they were collected from human burials, I have no idea why they would tell you something so mistaken as "it's actually against the law". That is bull!!

NAGPRA laws. All gray areas. This anthropologist mentioned some "ACT" that was written back in the early 1900's.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread