New here. What do you make of these stone items I have found?

Mistermayor

Mar 22, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everybody. I just found out about this forum and it's like a dream come true. I just spent a a couple hours browsing and thought I'd post some items I've found. I'm a long time collector but am relatively new to searching for treasures in the woods and riverbeds.

Here's an album with some of my items: https://imgur.com/a/oTeEm

The first object in the album I just found the other day at a flea market from a guy who didn't know anything about it other than it came from somebody in Pennsylvania. It has a custom wooden base as you can see. The shape is unusual and the piece on the side looks like it may have been tooled to some degree, as if to act as a handle. It's a bit tough to see in the photos, but the "handle" has a different patina than the rest of the rock. It looks like it's polished. The back of the stone also has a different color, texture, and patina as you can see. It fits incredibly well in the hand and the indents line up with where my fingers naturally rest.

The next object I found myself near the Delaware River. It was one of my first times going out looking for stones. A friend of a friend recommended the area as he finds a lot of stone tools there. This was the only thing I found that day as it started to rain quite hard. It's an interesting type of stone. If you tap it, it has a bit of a metallic sound. You'll also notice that there is a triangle carved into one side.

The third object I found recently as well, at a little antique shop in a basket of other rocks and stone tools. The tag on it just said "female rock" and the owners of the store didn't know anything about it but said it came from a collector. What caught my eye is that it is similar to one of the other items you'll see in a moment.

The next object is similar to the last. I found this one myself in Upstate NY near a large pile of stones right next to a cemetery. What caught my eye is the slit carved into the back. It took some time looking at it and I realized it looks like the back of an animal. There are also two pecks where the eyes would be.

The last object I also found myself. I don't know much about it. It looks like a pendant of some kind.

I've been looking for similar items online for some time and can't seem to find any. I'd appreciate your thoughts - thanks!

Upvote 0

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
tn_md.gif
I noticed this was your very first post - so, Welcome Aboard MisterMayor! You didn't list your state (or country) in your profile. So, you might consider jumping over to Sub-Forums: Select Your Area.... and selecting location information (i.e., clubs, hunts, finds, legends, maps, etc.) directly related to your state (or country).

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello and welcome to TreasureNet.

None of the rocks are artifacts, they are natural rocks with erosion.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
The 3rd pic of the second piece does appear to show a little flaking on one edge only, making that triangle you mention.

Other than that I don't see much evidence that the others are even possible artifacts.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mistermayor, welcome to the site.

Unfortunately, from what I see in your pictures nothing you have have shown is an actual artifact. None of those stones exhibit any evidence of ever being altered or utilized by man. That is all millions of years of natural erosion. Cool looking rocks, but not artifacts by any stretch of the imagination.

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from Northern Virginia

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread