Definitely not an Adena!

Adena_man

Feb 5, 2007
Nicholasville, Ky
I found this point earlier this morning. I was as excited as I could be! Please give me opinions on point classification. I have an idea, but would like input from others. It has an ancient ding on the front that was reworked, saving the point. The pic doesn't really show the salvage job they did on the tip. They were able to rework the damaged part and reuse the point. There is a lot of flaking around the tip where they worked on it.

Thanks for your input!

Good luck!

Attachments

• Picture 1005.jpg
    Picture 1005.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 352
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Adena_man

Adena_man

Feb 5, 2007
Nicholasville, Ky
I guess I need to clarify my question a little. This point was found in a field that has produced artifacts from the Paleo period. The basal end of the point makes me think that I might have a clovis variant or some type of dalton. It is not fluted that I can tell. I would love to have found the point whole. It would have helped with the ID a little. Any help would be appreciated.

P

pickaway

yeah after looking up dalton points id say it is, i never new they resembled the clovis.thanks for the heads up on the dalton where are they generally located?

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Where are you from? It doesn't look Clovis nor Dalton to me but could be a Dalton variant.

Andy, no way Dalton has even near as large of distribution range as Clovis. Clovis are found throughout our continent. Dalton are more of an Eastern tradition and don't really have a presence out west (plains states) at all.

OP
OP
Adena_man

Adena_man

Feb 5, 2007
Nicholasville, Ky
Matt R said:
Where are you from? It doesn't look Clovis nor Dalton to me but could be a Dalton variant.

Andy, no way Dalton has even near as large of distribution range as Clovis. Clovis are found throughout our continent. Dalton are more of an Eastern tradition and don't really have a presence out west (plains states) at all.

This piece was found just outside of Nicholasville KY (Central KY) 14 miles south of Lexington. I was very surprised to find it. I have been walking this field for 30 years and have never picked up a Dalton or Clovis. As soon as I saw it, I muttered "What the h***?" I thought my eyes were playing tricks on me.

Thanks for the posts everyone!

ohioriver hunter

Apr 12, 2007
Adena_man said:
I found this point earlier this morning. I was as excited as I could be! Please give me opinions on point classification. I have an idea, but would like input from others. It has an ancient ding on the front that was reworked, saving the point. The pic doesn't really show the salvage job they did on the tip. They were able to rework the damaged part and reuse the point. There is a lot of flaking around the tip where they worked on it.

Thanks for your input!

Good luck! When I first saw it I said to myself Clovis, but a dalton would be my final answer or guess. Jeff

Neanderthal

Bronze Member
Aug 20, 2006
oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Adena, is there any basal grinding apparent? The first thing that popped into my head when I saw it was a Copena variant..dunno.

OP
OP
Adena_man

Adena_man

Feb 5, 2007
Nicholasville, Ky
ohioriver hunter said:
Adena_man said:

Thanks for your input!

Good luck! When I first saw it I said to myself Clovis, but a dalton would be my final answer or guess. Jeff

Thanks for the post Jeff! I first thought I had a Clovis when I first saw it sticking up out of the ground. The basal end was sticking up straight as if it had been shot into the ground. Would have made a great insitu, but my wife had my camera at a reunion. It really got the heart started to pounding! At least i'm getting closer to the ever elusive Clovis. Definitely nothing wrong with a Dalton though! It is my first one.

Good luck!

OP
OP
Adena_man

Adena_man

Feb 5, 2007
Nicholasville, Ky
Matt R said:
Adena, is there any basal grinding apparent? The first thing that popped into my head when I saw it was a Copena variant..dunno.

Hey Matt, there seems to be some grinding on the basal end. An archy friend held it in hand and said definitely not Clovis. She said that it was definitely a Dalton.

Good luck!

OP
OP
Adena_man

Adena_man

Feb 5, 2007
Nicholasville, Ky
pickaway said:
yeah after looking up dalton points id say it is, i never new they resembled the clovis.thanks for the heads up on the dalton where are they generally located?

Thanks for the website info and the help Pickaway!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions