Point found in Maryland today

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Outside of Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi all,

Found this point in Maryland today. Had a question for you all: it has some kind of conglomerate rock stuck to the tail end of it. Do I:

A) Remove it
B) Keep it on there

If the consensus is to leave it, what is your reasoning behind it?

If you think I should remove it, how do I carefully do so without messing up the artifact?

Also, ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1522011996.135552.jpg do you think the last group of pics is a scraper? Or nothing?

Thanks all.

BrettCo

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1522011841.677102.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1522011867.971128.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1522011886.556834.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1522011896.654926.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1522012026.338590.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1522012058.977529.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1522012075.494926.jpg

Upvote 0

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s crazy the way that point is stuck in there can’t say Iv ever had that issue before , I don’t know if I would remove or not it’s pretty unique how it is but if you do looks like the cobble isn’t very hard I’m sure it could be removed easily

tnmudman

Feb 12, 2017
middle tennessee
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice finds white distilled vinegar will take that stuff off and it has never damaged any points that I have used it on I try to leave some of the buildup on there myself

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That’s crazy the way that point is stuck in there can’t say Iv ever had that issue before , I don’t know if I would remove or not it’s pretty unique how it is but if you do looks like the cobble isn’t very hard I’m sure it could be removed easily

Its unique, but it’s clunky because all of the weight is on that weird stuff. I think I want to remove it, but others have said it would depreciate the value of it, not in the sense of selling it. Just all around. I don’t know what to do!!! Haha

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds white distilled vinegar will take that stuff off and it has never damaged any points that I have used it on I try to leave some of the buildup on there myself

Thank you! I will try that if simple warm soap and water doesn’t work. How long do you leave if for, and do you soak the clump only, completely submerged?

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Its unique, but it’s clunky because all of the weight is on that weird stuff. I think I want to remove it, but others have said it would depreciate the value of it, not in the sense of selling it. Just all around. I don’t know what to do!!! Haha

Not sure about anything to do with depreciation I have used vinegar to clean points submerging the entire point but even left overnight I still had to scrub it with a toothbrush to get river stain off , I think I would try really hot water maybe set in sink and let hot water hit it for 10 min or so and see if just a gentle pull does anything.
If you found it on or near the Bohemia river it’s prob an iron build up attached to point that’s stuff is everywhere but it usually breaks easy

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure about anything to do with depreciation I have used vinegar to clean points submerging the entire point but even left overnight I still had to scrub it with a toothbrush to get river stain off , I think I would try really hot water maybe set in sink and let hot water hit it for 10 min or so and see if just a gentle pull does anything.
If you found it on or near the Bohemia river it’s prob an iron build up attached to point that’s stuff is everywhere but it usually breaks easy

I just soaked it in some vinegar. I’ll take a look in a half hour and see if it’s any easier. I will never sell my points, so I’d rather remove it. It’s definitely that stuff that comes in bush river and Bohemia. I see it all the time. I guess it decided to cling to an artifact lol. I hope it comes off. If not, I’ll continue to chip away at it with my knife, obviously being extremely careful.

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks everyone! I knocked off that piece successfully.

Any idea what the other find is/was?

hucklburry

Dec 18, 2010
I think it was the remnants of a mastodon that they killed with the point and was a priceless treasure until you removed it.

Haha, just kidding, I have no clue, nice find, I hope I am wrong on the above.

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol I checked it carefully that it didn’t have any mastodon remanence. I think I’m ok lol.

What is a spall? Tried googling it before having to ask. I got nothing. I don’t see flaking on it, but it just has a really interesting look to it, and has edges... usually I wouldn’t even waste time asking, but I think it’s something. I’ll post additional photos of it now. Next post will be PICTURE HEAVY of the same potential artifact. thanks for helping to ID.

Last edited:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would of left that chunk on it looks like a stone man ridding a surfboard. A stand alone piece.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That last piece looks like a remnant or debitage even though it was reduced down. You made some very nice finds. All good artifacts.

OP
OP
B

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1522284873.723413.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1522284895.459518.jpg

Weird chunk removed! Can’t get the rest of that stain off. Left it overnight in white vinegar. May just leave it as is.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread