Hopewell Point

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I found this recently while looking for eagles at the lake. Hard to look up and look down at the same time! Saw 3 eagles and we were heading back when I spotted this point. Footprints all around it. Really good camo in the sand. Around here, we call these Snyder points. Farther down south in IL, it might be called a Lowe. In OH, a Hopewell. Material is easily identifiable Cobden flint. Source in Union Co. IL. about 200 mi. so. of here. Cobden is nodular and occurs in balls mostly and much of it has concentric bands. It was used locally by all but only brought up here by 2 groups. Paleo and Hopewell. Paleos travelled and Hopewells traded. If I find Cobden up here, it came from one or the other. Gary

DSC08922.JPG

Upvote 0

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
Nice one. Good thing you were looking both up and down.

We have lots of bald eagles in our area. I got to watch one sitting on the ice along the creek eating a carp, 50 yards away from me a couple weeks ago.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there any grinding on the base? From your picture that looks like Punch type notch and that is an Archaic trait I believe.

OP
OP
ToddsPoint

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
No grinding. You're saying only archaic points were punched? I'm looking at another Snyders on my wall right now with punched notches. It's a middle woodland Snyders for sure. Maybe they did it different in OH? Gary

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Snyders aren't found very often here and I actually don't have a true personally found example of one in my 53 years if hunting here. We have Hopewell sites but they produce mostly Lowes or variants thereof.

This is what a typical Hopewell site in my area will produce.

Thanks for the info. I had never really studied them closely and now see they are Punch Notched.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    959.3 KB · Views: 137

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting