Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Results 1 to 11 of 11
Like Tree9Likes
  • 6 Post By BenjaminE
  • 3 Post By DizzyDigger

Thread: Hopewell Flintknapping Kit

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #1

    Jun 2014
    131
    123 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Hopewell Flintknapping Kit and Example of Hopewell Lithics

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	122.1 KB 
ID:	1590680
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	101.7 KB 
ID:	1590683
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2.1.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	117.6 KB 
ID:	1590681
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	88.4 KB 
ID:	1590684
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	146.0 KB 
ID:	1590685
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kit 1.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	119.6 KB 
ID:	1590688
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	kit 2.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	54.2 KB 
ID:	1590689
    Last edited by BenjaminE; May 16, 2018 at 07:50 AM.

  2. #2
    us
    Apr 2008
    Southern Ohio
    6,744
    4373 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Banner Finds (4)
    A Copper Tool socketed in Antler. Very cool. Thanks for this.
    "Welcome back my friends, to the show that never ends."

  3. #3

    Jun 2014
    131
    123 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by The Grim Reaper View Post
    A Copper Tool socketed in Antler. Very cool. Thanks for this.
    You are welcome, Steve. I actually am aware of a few cases. If I can find them in my extensive notes, I will post them for you.

    I vaguely recall an early archaeologist who broke convention and said that certain bits of copper were pressure flaking bits. I believe that these were in the trade area coming down from the Great Lakes. Unfortunately, I do not remember where I saw that at. If I can run across it again, I will post it.

    Ben

  4. #4

    Jun 2014
    131
    123 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by BenjaminE View Post
    You are welcome, Steve. I actually am aware of a few cases. If I can find them in my extensive notes, I will post them for you.

    I vaguely recall an early archaeologist who broke convention and said that certain bits of copper were pressure flaking bits. I believe that these were in the trade area coming down from the Great Lakes. Unfortunately, I do not remember where I saw that at. If I can run across it again, I will post it.

    Ben
    Ah yes, I remember now. Other archaeologists had assumed that they were copper "awls". But, I believe one archaeologist concluded that they were actually bits for pressure flaking. And, this was pretty early in American archaeology. I am sure that more will come back to mind...

  5. #5
    us
    Mar 2018
    Todds Point, IL
    521
    580 times
    Metal Detecting
    I'm fairly certain the points you show don't go with the tools. The points are part of the Mackinaw cache found north of Bloomington, IL back in the early 1900's. The cache, save for a few points, are now in the IL State Museum in Springfield. None the less, they are incredibly points made by a master knapper. Gary

  6. #6
    1320

    Dec 2004
    East Central Kentucky
    3,167
    1662 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    11 Beaver teeth and a raccoon bone....interesting

  7. #7

    Jun 2014
    131
    123 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddsPoint View Post
    I'm fairly certain the points you show don't go with the tools. The points are part of the Mackinaw cache found north of Bloomington, IL back in the early 1900's. The cache, save for a few points, are now in the IL State Museum in Springfield. None the less, they are incredibly points made by a master knapper. Gary
    You are right. I edited the title.

  8. #8

    Jun 2014
    131
    123 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Quote Originally Posted by 1320 View Post
    11 Beaver teeth and a raccoon bone....interesting
    I have noticed many instances where beaver teeth were included in flintknapping kits. I believe that some knappers have said that they do not work. I also believe others say they are used for making "bird points". It would be interesting to see some demos in this area.

  9. #9
    1320

    Dec 2004
    East Central Kentucky
    3,167
    1662 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Quote Originally Posted by BenjaminE View Post
    I have noticed many instances where beaver teeth were included in flintknapping kits. I believe that some knappers have said that they do not work. I also believe others say they are used for making "bird points". It would be interesting to see some demos in this area.
    I wish I had some beaver teeth...lol. Heck, Beavers use them to cut trees down. Perhaps the teeth were used for incising or scraping shafts. I can see the taper of a beaver tooth being problematic in the knapping process. I can envision a socketed or hafted tooth being useful, make one heck of a back scratcher.

  10. #10
    1320

    Dec 2004
    East Central Kentucky
    3,167
    1662 times
    Banner Finds (1)
    Just googled beaver tooth knife...yep

  11. #11
    us
    Dec 2012
    Concrete, WA
    Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
    3,109
    5110 times
    Prospecting
    Quote Originally Posted by 1320 View Post
    I wish I had some beaver teeth...lol. Heck, Beavers use them to cut trees down. Perhaps the teeth were used for incising or scraping shafts. I can see the taper of a beaver tooth being problematic in the knapping process. I can envision a socketed or hafted tooth being useful, make one heck of a back scratcher.
    Beaver teeth are easy to come by...ya just gotta ask the right people...

    Give these folks a shout, and I'd bet dimes to dollars they can
    hook you up with a local trapper that'd be happy to sell you
    a few tree eaters front choppers.

    United Trappers of Kentucky, Inc.

    FWIW, I trapped a lot of beaver in my younger years, and while they're easy
    to skin, getting those front teeth out is a tough job.
    1320, IAMZIM and BillA like this.
    Mike (aka Dizz)

    "If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquillity of servitude better than the animating contest
    of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsel nor your arms. Crouch down and lick
    the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you
    were our countrymen." ~~ Samuel Adams, 1776

    Dizzy's Super-Simple, Universal Rule of Forum Conduct: Don't be an ass.

 

 

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Flintknapping set-up
    By GTK96 in forum North American Indian Artifacts
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Apr 08, 2013, 08:59 PM
  2. Flintknapping in Guthrie, Oklahoma this weekend!
    By docmann in forum North American Indian Artifacts
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: Sep 26, 2009, 09:26 PM
  3. Flintknapping in Guthrie, Oklahoma this weekend!
    By docmann in forum Finds - Oklahoma
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: Sep 24, 2009, 06:16 PM
  4. flintknapping toolkit
    By drumking12 in forum North American Indian Artifacts
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Apr 08, 2009, 06:55 PM
  5. Flintknapping Materials?
    By SwampHunter in forum North American Indian Artifacts
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: Dec 21, 2008, 07:41 PM
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0