Feb 23, 2010
md
Upvote 0

choo

Jul 31, 2009
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah I feel bad for you dude! I have lost a lot of places due to changing owners & such unless you own it yourself you just never know when it will be taken away! Makes me sick to think of some of the places I use to hunt & all the those killer artifacts getting busted all to hell! Go out & find you a new killer spot they are out there you just have to find them!

dognose

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2009
Indiana
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70
I can appreciate that. Bummer. I had a guy say that today. I said I had not been hurt once in 40 years. So he said ok. I have done some GI Joe on fences across creeks. Once a tree snapped going across a creek and i fell about 10 feet but was unhurt.

ptsofnc

Apr 28, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It was probably due to people sneaking on to the field WITHOUT permission. You were collateral damage. Hope he changes his mind for you somewhere down the road.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hear the insurance reason all the time. It's not so much that we would sue the owner ourselves as much as our insurance companies would if we were hurt bad enough to require medical treatment. I can see their point, but I too have lost sites I had hunted fur over 40 years for that reason and that really sucks!

Nate in Ga

Apr 2, 2009
usa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cant you sign a waiver?

OP
OP
bsit1361

bsit1361

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2010
md
I’m gonna let it go. His land is leased to a sod company so there two party’s involved.

old digger

Gold Member
Jan 15, 2012
Montana
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That insurance issue has been ongoing for quite a few years around here since the State has allowed more out-of-state hunters to hunt here in Montana. I have lost quite a few hunting sites (artifact hunting) due to felonious claims and trespassing. I tend to see these occurrences more often when a second party leases the landowner's property. Hopefully you could work something out with both parties in the know.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
They passed a law here in IL a few years back so that landowners can't be held liable if a hunter/fisherman and etc. gets hurt on their land while using it. I still got denied permission after I told a guy about the law. He said he was a renter, not an owner and the law didn't protect him. No need to argue with people like that. Move on. Gary

hucklburry

Dec 18, 2010
Missouri has that no lawsuit rule also, in efforts to help open up private land to hunting, etc. Two of us gained permission to hunt a farm, and has turned into a fantastic deal, over the years it turned into just the two of us allowed, we are friends with the farmer and his wife.

Some advice, I take things to the farmer. I had scored some cheap off road lights for even cheaper, and the farmer runs around on a golf cart down to his work shed all the time, I took him a set of lights, he loved having them for running 5mph down to his shed at night. I ended up with spare golf cart tires, he always had a flat, gave him the tires, he had them on that cart 20 minutes later. I work on cranes, I've given him rigging stuff that was used, just simple stuff he would use for towing not lifting. I jacked up a house once and had 9 bottle jacks left over, I've given away to friends. I saw the farmer one day, he had had a flat in town, and mentioned his sons had lost the jack for that truck, so you know I gave him a jack, no big deal to me, but just thinking of him and how much fun we have on his property, an occasional gift just tells em you appreciate it - I've offered to fix holes in the road but he never lets me, etc. I've picked up trash and made sure he knew about it in passing. His wife likes to garden, and a place near my house always has bags of free manure sitting out, I took 6 bags down (I was going to use them myself), I asked if she wanted them, they had them spread out in her garden before I left the property, I told her I'd grab some more when I could. Its just getting to know them and returning the favor, they don't really need me driving out there and bothering their quiet, but they put up with me, right?

OP
OP
bsit1361

bsit1361

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2010
md
I took this farmer a beautiful frame for all his points. He kept them in a Folgers can in his farm truck. I don’t think it was really him. More the person farming the land.

Shorewalker

Nov 30, 2017
Virginia & Collier Cty FL
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The problem is that if people hear "lawsuit" they don't want to worry about whether a "waiver" is good enough or not. I mean you'd have to show it to a lawyer, etc. I have a guy who hunts my property (deer) and bushhogs and maintains the roads in exchange. I checked with my insurance agent and my liability policy (umbrella) covers me. I would have just said no but the work he does is valuable to me. If I wasn't getting something out of it I wouldn't take any risk with someone being on the property. People will sue at the drop of a hat.

Last edited:

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Outside of Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Upset that I never had the chance to get over there

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Give and take is always good. I made a "trade" with a farmer down the road. He farms 360 acres across the road from me. He's a turkey hunter. I happen to have the best turkey "hot spot" in the township on the back corner of my land. I let him hunt turkeys in exchange for letting me detect his farm. I could care less about turkey hunting, but now have 360 acres to detect. He said "you can dig up anything you want". Gary

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry you lost your site to the sod company. I have lost many fields over the years. Walked 6 huge new fields on Saturday and found maybe 4 reduction flakes. The insurance i carry on my leases covers trespassers. Go figure.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions