Today’s finds a lot of mud but was worth i

jmaschal

May 29, 2015
Maryland
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Last night found out some plans for today were going to be altered due BSIT losing some much loved permission he had but would let me tag along from time to time. Fortunately BSIT, BrettCo, and myself were able to take advantage of all of the rain we recently had and ventured to a very reliable field we both know of. I was really happy with some of the points I found plus my first trade bead. I don’t know much about the bead so please share any info you may have. All field finds.

I know some of us like to keep to themselves during hunts but had a great day with two fellow hunters - a day like today for all of us was really fun!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1526842555.115666.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1526842570.760786.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1526842588.317185.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1526842600.627451.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1526842614.530487.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1526842682.369206.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BrettCo124

Apr 29, 2009
Outside of Philadelphia, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari, Tesoro Sand Shark, Bazooka Gold Trap Mini, Gold Rush Nugget Bucket, Garrett Supersluice Gold Pans
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Amazing day today. You killed it. We all left with something besides extreme fatigue due to dehydration, pounding headaches, and stiff backs.

OP
OP
jmaschal

jmaschal

May 29, 2015
Maryland
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Amazing day today. You killed it. We all left with something besides extreme fatigue due to dehydration, pounding headaches, and stiff backs.

Days like today make me feel old but well worth it. No pain no gain right?

OP
OP
jmaschal

jmaschal

May 29, 2015
Maryland
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The bead looks like a faceted Russian. Nice Find!

That’s what looked like to me but wasn’t sure about the region. Found off Chesapeake Bay in Maryland. I know the Dutch traded them but from what I read more north in New York and Canada. I am sure could have made it further south but wasn’t sure.

I was definitely surprised to find it and was excited since it is my first.

choo

Jul 31, 2009
Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds that black point is a dandy & the bead is really cool!

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
i thought those Russian blues were more of a west coast thing....

OP
OP
jmaschal

jmaschal

May 29, 2015
Maryland
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
i thought those Russian blues were more of a west coast thing....

I was under same assumption but read Dutch traded them. The Dutch has some trade posts nearby in Delaware. I also read interesting article captain John Smith brought blue beads with him when he explored the Chesapeake Bay - but couldn’t find an exact description. It would be cool if could confirm that. Most beads found in my area are not like this one. But again it’s my first bead.

https://www.bayjournal.com/article/tiny_beads_have_played_significant_roles_in_chesapeake_history

Last edited:

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds and trade bead .
Archeological and museum arts have never revealed any instance when Russians engaged in glass bead making. Without the evidence that indicates or authenticates the possibility of the Russian beads having been made by the Russians, the so-called Russian trade beads could only have been acquired from other glass-bead-making regions through trade. Thus the name trade bead.
In common usage, ‘trade beads’ is a term applied to refer to beads predominately made in Bohemia, Venice and several other European regions between 1400s and 1900s. This might have been the most probably origins of Russian trade beads. I found this information on the net .

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
it's just a moniker..."Russian Blue"... this is what they are called, not who made or traded them necessarily.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread