Large Flint flake? Small kni

SteveSac

Tenderfoot
May 31, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Guys,

So i am SUPER new to this whole thing. I just joined a few days ago and have been doing a ton of reading on arrowhead hunting. I live close to an old reservoir which was dammed up about 90 years ago. From what i was told, it was an old river bed that they flooded and dammed up. During the early summer months when the water levels are low (around 7-8' lower then normal) There is a rocky beach that is exposed. I always read that you should be looking for flint flakes and that the points will soon follow. I have to be honest, my eyes have been playing tricks on me and I'm not even sure what im looking at anymore. I found what I thought was a large flake that was broken off at some point. extremely sharp on all sides and looks like it had been napped a few times. I thought i'd drop a pic on here to see what you guys think. It just rained 3" and am going to take another walk around the lake in a few hours. A large flake would be encouraging, since i havent really found anything in the last dozen hours that i've been looking. Figured it may at least make me feel like i was looking in the right area. Thanks alot!

IMG_5199.jpg
IMG_5200.jpg
IMG_5202.jpg
IMG_5203.jpg
Thanks
Steve

Upvote 0

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like a knife wanna be. They started to work it and stopped. My best guess.

filmiracl

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For me, it's too hard to tell if it's debitage or just a rock... but I know I wouldn't call it a knife. It can't hurt to poke around the lake to see if you might find something else.

OP
OP
S

SteveSac

Tenderfoot
May 31, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For me, it's too hard to tell if it's debitage or just a rock... but I know I wouldn't call it a knife. It can't hurt to poke around the lake to see if you might find something else.

Yea thats the plan. I'd be happy just thinking it was a large flake. At least i'd be looking in the right spot!

Thx again!

oxbowbarefoot

Banned
May 25, 2011
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Other
Flake, possibly utilized. Get a nice up close shot of the edges and look for micro-wear.

Nate in Ga

Apr 2, 2009
usa
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It might help to know what general area you are in and if they used that sort of material, if they did use that material, id say its probably a flake.. Flakes to me are much like metal detecting and finding wheat pennies, says your in the right place and to keep looking a silver or a complete point is likely to turn up soon if you keep at it. If your in the beginning stages of hunting, dont get discouraged. Be worthy of finding something, dont litter, pick up trash and haul it out, leave the location better than you found it, lol these are things I do for hunters karma! Good Luck bud.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread