F

Freemindedclark

Sep 18, 2017
Elliott Iowa
Detector(s) used
The Hubble telescope
Primary Interest:
Other
Check out Google Maps for the area you want to hunt. If pics were taken during winter/fall you may be able to make out lodge rings.

Could you further explain what I would be seeing please. I have studied Google maps, old aerial photos, lidar hillshade, and others. I'm not exactly sure what I'm seeing or looking for.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
I have a hard time with the game ball idea when they are of a large size, say baseball size. Most of these stone's in JMO is from rolling down a stream till it was caught in a hole and it was rolled around for a very long time by the current making it nice an round. I do believe they used round stones all the time for knapping, crushing, weapons and keep a handy pile around for self defense against animals and attacks from other tribes. keeping a pile of stones THAT FIT YOUR HAND could come in handy if you needed to ward off something or someone. The only game that I myself knows of is stick ball where a small stone was covered with leather and they used two sticks with cups made on the ends to pick up an throw the ball. If you find a round stone that man has altered it will show pecking or grinding signs. JMO !!!!!!!

i don’t necessarily agree we with the game ball thing either. I suspect they could possibly club heads. Leather wrapped and halfted, they would be a heck of a weapon, or skull cracker.

quito

Silver Member
Mar 31, 2008
south dakota
Detector(s) used
good eyes
I just can't wrap my head around someone spending hundreds of hours pecking and polishing a rock . I have hundreds that show use but you can just walk down to the river and find one just the right size . This one ice shaped another million years or so it will be the right size :BangHead:

Not sure about anywhere else, but you probably haven’t gone through a long cold Dakota winter. I figured with the time they had to spend inside staying warm, they had plenty if time and we’re often in need of things to stay occupied.

Last edited:

Fred250

Jun 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The idea that life was somehow a struggle for these people makes no sense to me. I’m sure in locations it was tough seasonally but they were drawing on thousands of years of experience and appear to know what they were doing. Just because we would struggle doesn’t mean they did.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I must admit, in the warm season, with seasonal camps right on our salt water estuaries, with their bounty of fish and shellfish, and corn fields, deer aplenty, it was likely "summer time, and the livin is easy". No 9-5, that's for sure, no rat race. A lot to be said for that.

Shorewalker

Nov 30, 2017
Virginia & Collier Cty FL
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I must admit, in the warm season, with seasonal camps right on our salt water estuaries, with their bounty of fish and shellfish, and corn fields, deer aplenty, it was likely "summer time, and the livin is easy". No 9-5, that's for sure, no rat race. A lot to be said for that.

...sounds very nice to me.

OP
OP
F

Freemindedclark

Sep 18, 2017
Elliott Iowa
Detector(s) used
The Hubble telescope
Primary Interest:
Other

Living to live what a concept

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread