XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Congrats on the find. Pretty cool.:icon_thumright:

Fred250

Jun 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice one as well. I guess everybody’s got one. Grim probably has a 50 gallon drum full.

OP
OP
F

Freemindedclark

Sep 18, 2017
Elliott Iowa
Detector(s) used
The Hubble telescope
Primary Interest:
Other
It's frustrating because the set of ridges I found it in was used by Indians and has even had archeological digs on them. ( Land off limits to me) The ravines are loaded with glacially deposited rocks. I wish I knew how to study maps and determine the most probable camp location. If anyone would be willing to help they would be most welcome to join me.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Find some flat ground (preferably farm ground) next to a major stream at the junction of a smaller stream. I always find campsites at place like that. If no farm ground, you have to dig. Gary

OP
OP
F

Freemindedclark

Sep 18, 2017
Elliott Iowa
Detector(s) used
The Hubble telescope
Primary Interest:
Other
Find some flat ground (preferably farm ground) next to a major stream at the junction of a smaller stream. I always find campsites at place like that. If no farm ground, you have to dig. Gary

Thanks for the advice.

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just can't wrap my head around someone spending hundreds of hours pecking and polishing a rock . I have hundreds that show use but you can just walk down to the river and find one just the right size . This one ice shaped another million years or so it will be the right size :BangHead:

Attachments

• IMG_7260.JPG
    IMG_7260.JPG
    75.2 KB · Views: 104
OP
OP
F

Freemindedclark

Sep 18, 2017
Elliott Iowa
Detector(s) used
The Hubble telescope
Primary Interest:
Other
I just can't wrap my head around someone spending hundreds of hours pecking and polishing a rock . I have hundreds that show use but you can just walk down to the river and find one just the right size . This one ice shaped another million years or so it will be the right size :BangHead:

You have to think they didn't have a Walmart they could run to for a toy to occupy thier kids young or old.

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would bet 99 percent of their time was spent trying to stay alive no grocery stores . But like all of us I haul all these artifacts home and wonder how they were used .

Attachments

• P7053819.JPG
    P7053819.JPG
    391 KB · Views: 83
  • P5143735.JPG
    P5143735.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 88

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool find. I'd take that any day.

Fred250

Jun 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would bet 99 percent of their time was spent trying to stay alive no grocery stores . But like all of us I haul all these artifacts home and wonder how they were used .

I could probably dream up a couple ideas

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a hard time with the game ball idea when they are of a large size, say baseball size. Most of these stone's in JMO is from rolling down a stream till it was caught in a hole and it was rolled around for a very long time by the current making it nice an round. I do believe they used round stones all the time for knapping, crushing, weapons and keep a handy pile around for self defense against animals and attacks from other tribes. keeping a pile of stones THAT FIT YOUR HAND could come in handy if you needed to ward off something or someone. The only game that I myself knows of is stick ball where a small stone was covered with leather and they used two sticks with cups made on the ends to pick up an throw the ball. If you find a round stone that man has altered it will show pecking or grinding signs. JMO !!!!!!!

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The artifact guide published by the Massachusetts Archaeological Society lists "stone ball" among the class of artifacts described as gaming stones. Here's how they describe a stone ball. Everything within the quotation was written by amateur archaeologist William Fowler in 1963. The end of the description was included in the 1991 revision. So, although listed with game stones, there really does not seem to be a proven purpose. That said, I'm guessing when brought to a full polish, it might be tough to distinguish from glacial cobbles, for instance, that have a polish and are spherical.

"Artifacts(exhibits #1 and #3) have been recovered as surface finds, which have been pecked into nearly round balls, relatively heavy, and large in size. They are not water-worn pebbles, for pecked scars are prominent over all surfaces. These balls are evidently man-made, since the pecking has left irregular facets , which prevent the balls from being exactly spherical". So far, nothing is known of their possible utilization. They may possibly have served as large maize-grinding stones or hammerstones rather then for gaming.

I've never seen one from these parts, to my recollection. But here are the two examples referenced in the citation from the MAS artifact guide. Nos 1 and 3. Each is about 3" in diameter:

Attachments

• IMG_0910.JPG
    IMG_0910.JPG
    823.7 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:

KeyaPaha

Oct 12, 2015
Naper, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D and now M6
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Check out Google Maps for the area you want to hunt. If pics were taken during winter/fall you may be able to make out lodge rings.

OP
OP
F

Freemindedclark

Sep 18, 2017
Elliott Iowa
Detector(s) used
The Hubble telescope
Primary Interest:
Other
The artifact guide published by the Massachusetts Archaeological Society lists "stone ball" among the class of artifacts described as gaming stones. Here's how they describe a stone ball. Everything within the quotation was written by amateur archaeologist William Fowler in 1963. The end of the description was included in the 1991 revision. So, although listed with game stones, there really does not seem to be a proven purpose. That said, I'm guessing when brought to a full polish, it might be tough to distinguish from glacial cobbles, for instance, that have a polish and are spherical.

"Artifacts(exhibits #1 and #3) have been recovered as surface finds, which have been pecked into nearly round balls, relatively heavy, and large in size. They are not water-worn pebbles, for pecked scars are prominent over all surfaces. These balls are evidently man-made, since the pecking has left irregular facets , which prevent the balls from being exactly spherical". So far, nothing is known of their possible utilization. They may possibly have served as large maize-grinding stones or hammerstones rather then for gaming.

I've never seen one from these parts, to my recollection. But here are the two examples referenced in the citation from the MAS artifact guide. Nos 1 and 3. Each is about 3" in diameter:

I have 3 of the artifacts referenced here. I believe they are called discoidals

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread