Knife? Something else? It's been bothering me...

filmiracl

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was looking at this piece again and I’m just not convinced that’s a broken meadowood point (as a couple people suggested back when I found it many months ago.) It was found in the Philly area at a predominantly woodland site. As you can see with the additional photos, the “reverse” side isn’t heavily worked as the other side (well it is actually, but not as nice.) The notch is intentional. The reason I don’t believe it’s a broken meadowood is because of the cross section. It just doesn’t match, in my opinion, a broken point. The shape doesn't work. It’s kind of a side view of the cross section when you consider the notch. What is this? I know it’s crazy but I still envision a small hafted knife, kind of like a corner tang knife... the part that is broken, would have been stuck into a handle (and yes, I know corner tang knives are not from around here.) That’s just what it looks like to me, but I don’t know... with that said, seems like a lot of work or a waste for something so small. Any ideas?

image_42672.jpg
image_42673.jpg
image_42674.jpg
image_42675.jpg
image_42676.jpg

Upvote 0

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a piece of debitage to me.

I always value and respect your opinions, Quito but I've always thought that debitage in the artifactual sense was a waste flake struck from a piece being made. This piece looks like a broken biface from what I can see from the pictures, however the notch does not look intentional, at least relative to the original piece. I see a difference in patina between that of the notch and the rest of the piece, and what appears to be fresh hinge fractures in the notch itself. Broken biface, but not a Meadowood, in my humble opinion.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I agree. Broken biface with maybe a notch put in for some reason. Looks like jasper. Where did you find it? Gary

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why would you think it was broken? Looks like a flake knife with a definite notch. Question is why the notch....
looks like they might have tried to re-purpose a broken point :dontknow:

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why would you think it was broken? Looks like a flake knife with a definite notch. Question is why the notch....

I looked at the pictures yet again and the break is best seen in the fourth picture. The notch is recent, most likely the result of a harrow strike. Difference in patina, fresh hinge fractures in the notch itself (best seen in the first and fifth pictures), and formed by being struck from only one side (second picture). It's a broken point or knife that got hit by a modern implement. The V-shape of the notch is another giveaway.

Forgot to mention that the break itself looks ancient.

Last edited:
OP
OP
F

filmiracl

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guess it’s just the usual multi-tool of sorts that happens to look a little more refined by coincidence. Thanks for everyone’s input!

olroy70

Feb 3, 2011
gainesville, tx
Detector(s) used
Garret 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lot of the knives were tied to a handle of some kind........have some myself. will look and post

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions