StoneHunter

May 7, 2013
NoVa
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello,
I was recently looking over some of the flint I've picked up on the shores of the Potomac river when this piece caught my attention.
20180722_132737.jpg 20180722_132722.jpg
What do you think, worked or not? If it was worked then this would be an artifact from England which was carried to the Potomac river as ballast in an English sailing ship.

Upvote 0

Fred250

Jun 30, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw a thread somewhere in which a guy from Ontario had a handaxe made from English flint.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That looks like classic amber French flint, so your guess would be accurate.

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
That is some nice material in a cobble that looks like it was hit a few times to see what was inside, or to possibly make a quick cutting edge. I would not think that material was out of place if it were found over here on the Delmarva peninsula. To me it looks like one of the many grades of cobble jaspers and cherts' that show up over here. HH

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is some nice material in a cobble that looks like it was hit a few times to see what was inside, or to possibly make a quick cutting edge. I would not think that material was out of place if it were found over here on the Delmarva peninsula. To me it looks like one of the many grades of cobble jaspers and cherts' that show up over here. HH

I was thinking the exact same thing ..... I hav several large pieces found on the shores of Chester river , Maryland that are very similar I believe them to be jasper mostly

OP
OP
S

StoneHunter

May 7, 2013
NoVa
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thank you redbeardrelics. I've collected several nice pieces of dover chert from Slaughter beach in Delaware, even found a broken levana point made of dover chert on the beach. While the two materials appear similar in color, the material I'm collecting on the Potomac is glassy and smooth whereas the dover chert tends to be grainy. Cheers!

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Dover chert from Dover, DE. That's a new one on me. I've heard of Dover chert from Dover, TN but never DE. I need to get around more! Gary

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread