Preform or Knife?

RamRodX

Jul 22, 2018
Murfreesboro, TN
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Newbie question.... how can I tell if something is a preform or a knife/blade? Example below.

preform-or-knife-07-28-2018A.jpg preform-or-knife-07-28-2018B.jpg

Upvote 0

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last edited:
OP
OP
RamRodX

RamRodX

Jul 22, 2018
Murfreesboro, TN
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks TN-Mountains! That was an excellent source of information. It makes me think how great it would be if someone started a project of creating a website and videos to teach the next generation about Native American artifacts (or any other historical artifacts) and to do it in a step-by-step fashion like that post did.

I'm new to the hobby and it seems like treasure hunting and a lot of the historical collecting hobbies are on the decline. I'm worried that I started too late.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
A nice find! It looks like it was used a lot, so I agree with Tnmountains about it not technically being a preform.

If you have a magnifying glass or a loupe, you can sometimes see wear on some of the ridges of the flakes. They'll look rounded or smoothed. In some extreme cases, they get almost polished like a rock put in a rock tumbler.

Newbie question.... how can I tell if something is a preform or a knife/blade? Example below.

View attachment 1616601 View attachment 1616602

OP
OP
RamRodX

RamRodX

Jul 22, 2018
Murfreesboro, TN
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I were to try and catalog it by name, what would you call it? I'm trying to follow the Overstreet groupings as much as possible, but I realize it's not an exact science.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions