Rock? Artifact? Why Argue? What's This One?

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not a serious collector of Native American Artifacts but I have found a few in the wild and do have an interest in the field itself. Having said that, the few times when I have posted items on here that I am unsure of, I will pay heed to the advice of the experts (99% of the time).

What I don't understand are those that post rocks and want to argue with the experts (and there are a few real ones) on here.

To me, it seems they aren't really looking for an answer to the object in question, so much as they are wanting confirmation of their own preconceived notions for their "artifact". Once told that it's not an artifact, they get mad.

So to all those who already "know" you have an "artifact" there is no need for you to post it looking for validation or confirmation. For those that don't know and really are asking for advice, just listen. No one here has an agenda. They are here to help. Me too, whenever that's possible.

Now, what do you think of this piece? This was picked up years ago in either Ky. or Tn., I forget exactly.

IMG_7246 (1280x1000).jpg IMG_7245 (1097x1280).jpg

Upvote 0

Reanm8er

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2018
Shenandoah Valley Va
Detector(s) used
WW2 Mine Detector, 2 Garrets and an Underwater Fisher (Older Machines)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Point taken folks. I don't think this guy has really hit anything. To me, the "Chips" on the ground look just like the leaves behind the guy. Many of the large paleo artifacts shown in the above photos couldn't have been flaked. They're as large as your hand. I believe they knocked off big chunks and used them just as they were, or with little forming. I would think trying to do this as demonstrated in the last photo wouldn't work. If that's a piece of quartzite. he'd be more likely to bust a large chip from it with a large heavy rounded rock like for instance Iron ore.

Last edited:

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Due respects Gary, The photo came from a paleo artifact website. I think their intent was to illustrate that even in modern time the descendants of the Anu still make stone tools. If wood shouldn't we see some shreds along side of where he's chopping? Absolutely he is using an iron adze but he looks like he knows what he's doing. I certainly don't claim to be an expert, just a student. I have been hunting this stuff and collecting for 62 Yrs but I'm always up to learning something new.
Thanks for looking!

Clearly you can see he is making a canoe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread