Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Why the yuchi? You found 200+ year old carvings on a tree? Unlikely. There are only a couple hundred Yuchi descendants left. I'm sure they'll be in touch. Good luck.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
if you think modern day native americans have some sort of secrete knowledge into the past, you are mistaken.

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
if you think modern day native americans have some sort of secrete knowledge into the past, you are mistaken.

I wouldn’t underestimate the past or current knowledge of any cultures. Although it is certain that a vast amount of knowledge was lost when Native American populations were decimated by Eurasian diseases and their physical methods of communication were burned by the Catholics, vast amounts of knowledge undoubtedly remain. For example, Native Americans in the four corners region helped epidemiologists figure out the source of the “Sin Nombre Virus” through oral histories. To the epidemiologists, it was an emerging infectious disease that they hadn’t encountered. The Native Americans knew about it for centuries and the weather patterns which caused the disease to become more frequent.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Last edited:

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I wouldn’t underestimate the past or current knowledge of any cultures. Although it is certain that a vast amount of knowledge was lost when Native American populations were decimated by Eurasian diseases and their physical methods of communication were burned by the Catholics, vast amounts of knowledge undoubtedly remain. For example, Native Americans in the four corners region helped epidemiologists figure out the source of the “Sin Nombre Virus” through oral histories. To the epidemiologists, it was an emerging infectious disease that they hadn’t encountered. The Native Americans knew about it for centuries and the weather patterns which caused the disease to become more frequent.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Yes, it would be a mistake to dismiss the persistence, and accuracy, of memories orally transmitted. For instance, the Henbury Meteorite crater, in Australia, was created by an impact some 4700 years ago. And the aboregenies passed down the fact that rocks falling from the sky created the crater. They remembered the crater had been created by meteoritic impact that happened nearly 5000 years ago. That is one highly impressive feat of oral memory transmission.

More local to myself, the Narragansett of RI have oral memories of a time when they lived in villages out in the Atlantic, benealth Block Island Sound, and RI Sound, and that can only have been thousands of years ago. When Deepwater Wind built the first offshore wind farm in the United States, off Block Island, members of the tribe were included as consultants in the necessary search for prehistoric underwater sites before Deepwater could built the wind turbines.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
reading stories on the internet is one thing, having first hand experience with tribes today is another.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
reading stories on the internet is one thing, having first hand experience with tribes today is another.

I do have first hand experience where offshore explorations and present day tribal oral traditions are concerned in my own neck of the woods. I likely would not have brought it up otherwise. On the other hand, I have no first hand experience with Australian aboregenies, although what I related is true as far as it goes.

Mine Shaft

Apr 11, 2017
Fontana, California
Detector(s) used
NA
Primary Interest:
Prospecting

Yes modern day native Americans have secrete knowledge into the past like 10-16K into the past. I have talked to ppl that have studied petroglyph's for a long time and they have tried to gain knowledge from native Americans about the glyph's and he said they only speak of a small fraction of what it means. This knowledge has been passed down for thousands of years.

Attachments

• IMG_1795.jpg
    IMG_1795.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 73

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

So are you saying that all “tribes” on earth have shared everything that they collectively know with humanity so that no secrets remain... or are you saying that through vast firsthand experience that you now possess the collective knowledge of all “tribes” on earth and therefore they hold no secret knowledge into the past because they have shared all of their collective knowledge with you alone?

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
no, i am saying assimilaton has erased a lot. not saying an Athabaskan in central Alaska or a Dine' in Arazona have lost their culture...but those sorts of more islolated or larger groups will hang onto parts of their heritage much longer than most east coast or small mission bands in California.

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
no, i am saying assimilaton has erased a lot. not saying an Athabaskan in central Alaska or a Dine' in Arazona have lost their culture...but those sorts of more islolated or larger groups will hang onto parts of their heritage much longer than most east coast or small mission bands in California.

Ok unclemac. That makes sense, although it’s entirely different than what you first said.

Growdude, we’re still waiting on the photos of the tree carvings...

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread