Projectile Points or Small Knife Blades?

RamRodX

Jul 22, 2018
Murfreesboro, TN
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My apologies for another newbie question, but I've stared at too many examples trying to figure these two out and am spinning my wheels. Am I correct to think that these two are small knife blades due to the curved edges? If so, what kind are they? The one on the left looks somewhat like some kind of Adena type (Robbins?). The only thing similar I can find on the right one is just often referred to as a "blade" with no classification.

And if they are small knife blades, was one meant to be hafted and the other not?

unidentified-points-08-26-2018.jpg

Any insight you can give me is greatly appreciated. Hope you all are having a great weekend!

Upvote 0

georgia flatlander

May 21, 2017
Southeastern U.S. (Georgia)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They are both knife blades, and likely both were meant to be hafted. I've tried cutting things by hand with all different sized types of knives, and found that holding them would do severe damage to your hands. While knife blades didn't need to be perfectly shaped, it was necessary for projectile points to be aerodynamic to a certain degree. Field grade points seem to be rougher and less shapely, but undoubtedly some were knapped quickly and imperfectly due to haste.
Bow and arrow technology was supposedly adapted around 1200-1400 years ago in the continental U.S., and if you follow this line of thinking, picture arrow points as being small. Although knives and points can have very similar shapes, the design of an arrow with a heavy and cumbersome point is not practical. Similarly, atlatl darts were small and aerodynamic. Some of the larger points could have been used for spears or lances as well, but the typical drop-point design of knife blades is very apparent in some cases.
Either way, you have two nice artifacts!

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think you've got it. Most projectiles are symmetrical. Those look like they were used as knives. Unhafted knives work well. A wrap of leather around the base is all you need. With a handle, you have more torque, but that extra torque is enough to break the blade sometimes. Gary

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes they were so used its very hard to get a proper I.D. on them but any collector would love to find them just as you did. From what I see the one on the left is a knife and was probably much longer and wider when it was 1st made and the one on the right could be a flake knife, blade or just a scraper and a possible preform or could of been used as is. They both look to be made from the same material, rock

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Nice finds. You did find them I assume.

georgia flatlander

May 21, 2017
Southeastern U.S. (Georgia)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think you've got it. Most projectiles are symmetrical. Those look like they were used as knives. Unhafted knives work well. A wrap of leather around the base is all you need. With a handle, you have more torque, but that extra torque is enough to break the blade sometimes. Gary

Good point, Gary. I've used heavy gloves, but still they were uncomfortable. I haven't broken a hafted one yet, but now you've scared me! I'll have to try it with one of my own making or I'll be disappointed.

OP
OP
RamRodX

RamRodX

Jul 22, 2018
Murfreesboro, TN
Detector(s) used
Fisher F2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Unfortunately I didn't find them. I bought them as part of a collection of 30 points at a yard sale and have caught the "bug" through trying to identify them. It's not as easy as I thought it would be. Lol!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread