OP
OP
docmann

docmann

Jan 2, 2009
OKLAHOMA!
Detector(s) used
Rarely!
Yup. That and quartzite is about 95% of what I find out here in Western Oklahoma.

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I finally talked brother into coming out to a couple of my favorite old haunts. Not my best day out, but many tools, broken points, and a few intact projectile points found. Lots of worked edged tools, knives, scrapers, etc.
hope to get back into it!
Welcome back. What do you think the stone with the drilled holes is? I've never seen anything like it. Thanks

OP
OP
docmann

docmann

Jan 2, 2009
OKLAHOMA!
Detector(s) used
Rarely!
Welcome back. What do you think the stone with the drilled holes is? I've never seen anything like it. Thanks
. There’s a lot of speculation about these pieces. Dr. Robert Bell, a well known archaeologist from the University of Oklahoma (now deceased) refers to them as “spindle whorls”, but he readily concedes most are not configured like a spindle whorl. Reportedly, some version of these have been found in drinking vessels as a filter. Some have one or two holes, most will have more. They are typically made of pottery material with the edges rounded like this one. Some suggest gaming pieces. Most are found broken. I think ultimately the jury is still out. My brother found this one along with the two Fresno points above it—beginners luck!

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome back Doc! I have some pottery with all the little holes and figured it was used as a filter for straining.Who knows. Welcome back!

OP
OP
docmann

docmann

Jan 2, 2009
OKLAHOMA!
Detector(s) used
Rarely!
Thanks! Good to be back. Hope to get out this week if we can get a little rain.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread