Big Grinding Bowl

OntarioArch

Nov 26, 2017
Cayuga County NY
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I bought this artifact from a local Old Timer, who said it was discovered by a farmer friend while "clearing fields around 1900". Since it is so heavy (maybe 300 lbs...), I'm thinking the site of this discovery is also likely to be the site of a Native American settlement / camp of some sort: who wants to lug around a 300 pound stone?

I know the old farmstead on which it was reportedly discovered....took a tour by the friendly owner......but sorry to say it is 60 acres big, almost all hay fields. It does contain two 'springs' which were wet even during our July very dry spell. Nearby those springs are hay fields, only. No exposed soil.

Now....across the road, maybe 1/4 mile away on another landowner's property, lies a nice flat field, just above the high water mark of a substantial creek that flows all year. Could the farmer have also cleared this field? Could this field have been a part of the old homestead back in 1900? Don't cows need a good water supply?

As soon as the corn comes down this Fall.....I'll be walking it. Again, a very friendly owner much interested that his land might hold NA artifacts thousands of years old!

Mortar.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
You`re right, no one wants to lug around a 300 lb stone, but many times that stone was located at or near the resource they were grinding and used over and over every year. Could have been in an acorn or hickory nut grove and the nuts processed on the spot.

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep. With the springs and the large grinding stone, I’d say that it’s quite possible that there may have been a camp or settlement there. I’d definitely be walking the cornfield if you’ve got permission and it’s not no-till. If it’s soybeans or some other crop next year, hit it again after the dirt’s been worked and before the beans or whatever gets too big, and of course, after the harvest and before the corn gets too big. We chisel in the fall and disc/tilloll in the spring. Corn fields are tougher to hunt because of all the stalks, cobs, and whatnot. Soybean residue is less durable and doesn’t leave so many arrowhead-shaped pieces.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found what I was sure was a huge metate yesterday but there was noway I was caring that thing home it must of weighed 60 lbs it was just to flat and long to be natural. Nice find

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread