sparkfly88

Tenderfoot
Sep 8, 2018
CedarKey FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Being a younger guy, while I was hunting beaches, I would always get Cougars and Silver Foxes hunting me down.

OP
OP
hughmaster10

hughmaster10

Jan 4, 2013
Being a younger guy, while I was hunting beaches, I would always get Cougars and Silver Foxes hunting me down.

It’s gotta be hard to concentrate on hunting when you’re being hunted. LOL [emoji23]

sparkfly88

Tenderfoot
Sep 8, 2018
CedarKey FL
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
yeah, it was brutal, my friends would always pick on me when I got back because they would watch the whole thing unfold and not help at all as I keep inching away trying to keep hunting, but those drunk ladies would just keep on comin. I'm too dang nice to just walk off.

Shorewalker

Nov 30, 2017
Virginia & Collier Cty FL
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not too crazy but last week I was wading in a couple feet of water when I saw a huge fish. It was really big and I thought it was a giant carp. Then I saw a weird looking rounded paddle-like tail. I was thinking "what in the world"?? Then I realized it was a beaver - 3 or 4 feet from me. Thoughts went to big yellow teeth and a mean temperament. I got out of the water quick.

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Never been stalked by an animal only humans wanting to know "How do dat thang whork?":laughing7:

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was hunting a field a couple years back that had a rise that went up between two hills and ended at a point at the conjuncture of the two hills. As I was hunting back and forth from the point to back down the slope of about 100 yards, I kept hearing something in the woods that was crashing through the brush making quite a bit of racket. I figured it was a deer and kept hunting. As I turned and was heading back up the other direction I heard the crashing through the woods again and it sounded as if it was walking in the same direction as me. When I got the end again and turned to go back down, so did the noise. I stopped and watched for a few minutes and I saw something large and black up on the hill but I just got a quick look. I immediately thought Bear and headed straight to my truck at a brisk pace. I made it to the truck and pulled up the house and went up and knocked on the door. I told the lady there I thought I saw a Bear up in the woods and she says, "Yeah, somebody fishing in the pond last week said they saw one too". Now I had stopped at the house before going out there to let her know I was there so that would have been nice to know beforehand.

Not sure if I consider a Bear that probably wanted me for a meal as a "cool" animal though. lol

Last edited:

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
3 years ago I was in a creek that wound through a run-down neighborhood hunting for shark teeth. I was screening the gravel, finding a lot of small ones, and was focused on that. I hear a snort above me ( the creek was in a 6 foot deep trench with vertical banks ), look up and two huge pit bulls are staring at me. As soon as we made eye contact they went into their ferocious barking slobbering, "I'm going to eat you" mode. I tried talking real quiet to them, which just pissed them off more. I'm only a few feet from them, but I guess they didn't feel like jumping. I reached into my shirt pocket and pulled out a package of Lance crackers, the orange colored ones with the "cheesy" cracker with "peanut butter". They stopped barking immediately, and began wagging their tails. I began tossing crackers to them one after the other. Six crackers per pack you know. When they were all gone, I held the wrapper out in front of me, shook it, and said, "Sorry boys, they're all gone." They both looked at me for a moment, turned around and ran off through the woods.

Radman

Greenie
Aug 4, 2018
S. Florida - Venice
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max, AT Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gators can be a hazard where I'm from, but mountain lions are a different part of the country. I guess Bobcats could be a possibility but they are rare sightings and usually stay clear of mankind.

HI-McDunnogh

Sep 7, 2018
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
First post on the forum!...

I was in the middle of the woods one time, probably a 1/2 mile from the road, and I heard a very aggressive, growly voice yell "Put that down..right now." It sounded like he was within 30 yards of me. I froze in my tracks. I had permission to be where I was, but it spooked me to the bone. I was in the zone and was totally caught off guard. I stood there and looked around in all directions with nothing but woods and never saw or heard another thing. I don't get startle easily, but something about the situation didn't rub me right. I packed it up for the day. To this I day, I try and be more aware of what's around me because of that instance. I think about it all the time.

OP
OP
hughmaster10

hughmaster10

Jan 4, 2013
First post on the forum!...

I was in the middle of the woods one time, probably a 1/2 mile from the road, and I heard a very aggressive, growly voice yell "Put that down..right now." It sounded like he was within 30 yards of me. I froze in my tracks. I had permission to be where I was, but it spooked me to the bone. I was in the zone and was totally caught off guard. I stood there and looked around in all directions with nothing but woods and never saw or heard another thing. I don't get startle easily, but something about the situation didn't rub me right. I packed it up for the day. To this I day, I try and be more aware of what's around me because of that instance. I think about it all the time.

Wow. That’s nuts! Thanks for sharing.

monsterrack

Silver Member
Apr 15, 2013
Southwest Mississippi
Detector(s) used
Garrett, and Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In my neck of the woods I carry a 22 pistol with rat shot for any snakes that want to act bad and also carry a 44 mag. for the hogs, bears, gators and a far ranging cat( we have a few)also carry a 2 shot 38 special in my back pocket for just in case it's my last move. Last year while walking up to the creek I jumped a large hog and it ran about 30 yards an stopped in the snake cane. It started popping it's jaws, so I'm trying to get a shot off at it when I realize I hear grunting sounds from all around me. With a quick look around me I see I'm standing in the middle of 8 baby pigs, needless to say I let mama hog have that part of the creek.(a wild hog can and will hurt you) alligator.jpg This is what's in our lakes and small rivers along with these Jr Stafford Ms. state record alligator gar 220 lbs.jpg You don't won't to get in deep water around these parts, the gator was 701lbs and the gar was 220lbs. I was walking along a bayou one day picking up points and just happened to notice ripples in the waters edge and looked up an about 6ft from me was this 8ft gator. gator.jpg Needless to say I backed up about 6ft asked him to say cheese an left that part of the water hole. Found out later folks had been dropping their deer parts in there for him and I guess he thought I was going to feed him. (Which is a bad thing to do.)

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hot damn! I never realized that gar got that big!

A few years ago, I was down in the woods on the bank of the creek and heard dogs barking in the distance. The sound seemed to be heading my way. I waited as it got even closer and louder, figuring they were following the scent of a deer. Then I saw a dog coming through the undergrowth, totally unaware of my presence. Then two, three, five, ten and hell, over twenty dogs appeared out of the woods. Freaky sight how they just started appearing one after another. Never seen a pack that large. The lead dog had stopped by now, either smelling or spotting me, probably 25-30 feet away. I was standing dead still, and all of them had stopped. After a few seconds, I said in a low voice, "Whatchall doin'?" and after a second or two, they turned and hauled ass. "Hey! What's y'all's hurry?" but they weren't hanging around. Glad they weren't the least bit aggressive, because they clearly had me and my 15 rounds way outnumbered. Maybe they sensed that I love dogs?

Truth

Gold Member
Apr 13, 2016
Abita Springs La....Born in New Orleans
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
yeah, it was brutal, my friends would always pick on me when I got back because they would watch the whole thing unfold and not help at all as I keep inching away trying to keep hunting, but those drunk ladies would just keep on comin. I'm too dang nice to just walk off.

I assumed being attacked on a beach by a beaver was rare....apparently not!

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I stepped out of the woods once, from a dig site, and there's an old woman. Not her property. She was parked in the same lot as I was. She unleashes two German shepards and tells them "get him!!" I spent the next minute or so swinging my stick from one dog to the other, there coming at me from two different directions, whacking them on the nose. First one, then the other, like a whirling Dervish, all the while screaming my block off at the woman. Finally she calls them off, I scream "why!!!?", and she says, in a heavy German accent, "I can't be too careful", puts the dogs in her car, and off she goes. Thought of following her, and calling the police, but did not. Got to thinking "maybe she was a Holocaust survivor". No excuse, but I was grateful I had that heavy walking stick.

Same dig site. My wife digging by herself. She looks up. About 15 feet away stands a tall Indian man. Wearing buckskin leggings, a red blanket around his shoulders. He stares at her, my wife stares at him. After a few moments, he just fades away, no words spoken. My wife packs up her gear, hurries through the woods to her car, and home she comes. It was a big village site in the 1600's. Best I could figure is he was living in that village and saw my wife in her time, our present, and she was seeing him in his time, our past. What must he have thought? I thought it was the coolest thing, but my wife never dug there again.

Shorewalker

Nov 30, 2017
Virginia & Collier Cty FL
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I stepped out of the woods once, from a dig site, and there's an old woman. Not her property. She was parked in the same lot as I was. She unleashes two German shepards and tells them "get him!!" I spent the next minute or so swinging my stick from one dog to the other, there coming at me from two different directions, whacking them on the nose. First one, then the other, like a whirling Dervish, all the while screaming my block off at the woman. Finally she calls them off, I scream "why!!!?", and she says, in a heavy German accent, "I can't be too careful", puts the dogs in her car, and off she goes. Thought of following her, and calling the police, but did not. Got to thinking "maybe she was a Holocaust survivor". No excuse, but I was grateful I had that heavy walking stick.

Same dig site. My wife digging by herself. She looks up. About 15 feet away stands a tall Indian man. Wearing buckskin leggings, a red blanket around his shoulders. He stares at her, my wife stares at him. After a few moments, he just fades away, no words spoken. My wife packs up her gear, hurries through the woods to her car, and home she comes. It was a big village site in the 1600's. Best I could figure is he was living in that village and saw my wife in her time, our present, and she was seeing him in his time, our past. What must he have thought? I thought it was the coolest thing, but my wife never dug there again.

Wow. That's pretty freaky. Don't know that I'd be back.

OP
OP
hughmaster10

hughmaster10

Jan 4, 2013

I’m starting to think it might be a good idea to carry while going out now. although I’ve never been hunting yet. You really never know who or what you might run into in the woods or creeks.

And that 2nd story is crazy! Your wife should have asked him where they dropped their points. Hehe

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread