Just starting out. Would like some opinions on these finds.

Evolution

Gold Member
Aug 2, 2007
Upstate NY
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX (with 4x6 shooter DD coil and 12" spider coil), Minelab Rocco 2700. (E-Trac)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never collected indian artifacts/arrowheads before but lately I've been metal detecting an old farm site and things like these are all over the place. I haven't found anything that is obviously an arrowhead or artifact yet but I did pick up these 2 pieces just so I could post them here and ask the experts if it was worth my time searching this area further for more items like these.

Attachments

• IMG_0606.JPG
    IMG_0606.JPG
    39.1 KB · Views: 242
  • IMG_0609.JPG
    IMG_0609.JPG
    32 KB · Views: 257
  • IMG_0610.JPG
    IMG_0610.JPG
    30.7 KB · Views: 239
  • IMG_0611.JPG
    IMG_0611.JPG
    29.9 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_0612.JPG
    IMG_0612.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 245
Upvote 0

Christ_in_you

Sep 14, 2007
I remember starting out, if you like, I could possibly get you some study pieces. I went to this artifact store "Redfeathers" with buckets of rocks finally he felt sorry for me and gave me some study pieces. I'm excavating a cave dwelling now and its loaded with "study pieces". Let me know Ray

BobTheBaitFish

Jul 13, 2007
Highland, IL
Detector(s) used
Garrett CXII
Looks like they are made of the right type of material. If I was finding that kind of material at a specific place in a field, I would keep looking. Flakes, small chunks of chert, fire cracked rock, hammerstones are all signs indicating an occupation site. It's likely that eventually you'll find part of an arrowhead.

To learn more about what you're looking for, you might want to consider learning to flint knap. I started with D.C. Waldorf's "The Art of Flintknapping". You may never be able to knap an arrowhead, but you'll at least be able to know what was modified by a person and not by nature.

Noodle

Bronze Member
Jul 20, 2005
N Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Looks like a possibility of an ancient site. Can't tell where you are, but if you continue looking, you'll probably find some good points if this was an occupied site. These look like they could be "makings" or grades/practices of points. Don't stop looking at this site. Good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread