Nice Illinois Plummet

Hippy

Dec 15, 2008
Here's an artifact type I don't see posted much. This is a well made, Godar drilled style plummet found in Jersey County, Illinois. It's made of hematite and very well polished.

Hippy

_DSC9708_118_16_S.jpg

_DSC9709_119_14_S.jpg

Upvote 0

willjo

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2015
Twin City, Ga.
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 350 and Garrett ace 150
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Really nice piece, still looking to find one.

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found quite a few Plummets over the years, but I have never found or seen that type in my area.

That is a really nice one Jeff.

catherine1

Bronze Member
Jun 25, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hematite huh. That's stuff's like iron.......incredible. Nice artifact. Would like to know how many drills it took for the hole.....HH.

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great artifact I want one also!!!!

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Very nice piece.

OP
OP
H

Hippy

Dec 15, 2008
Really nice piece, still looking to find one.

Good to hear from you! Unfortunately, we're getting snow already this year so axe finding is slow.

I haven't added as many axes, but tried to high grade some better examples. Since I've moved to Iowa a few years back, I'm really concentrating more on Iowa relics now. That mile difference across the river really changed things for me...LOL. Are you coming down this way any time soon?

Hippy

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a beautiful plummet! :headbang: That is something I do not have in my collection.

Last edited:
OP
OP
H

Hippy

Dec 15, 2008
and here we go!

Thanks Joshua! Townsend had some pretty nice ones, along with great examples of seemingly all artifact types. I really like the Godar style for some reason. The amount of work to make one must have been impressive.

How's the far east treating you? I loved visiting Honk Kong and it was probably my favorite city in SE Asia. Unfortunately, the vibrancy is probably dwindling a little each year. It would be interesting to see how the influences of the motherland are effecting things even from 5 years ago.

Hippy

OP
OP
H

Hippy

Dec 15, 2008
That is an awesome example. Is there an accepted explanation of what these "plummets" are or were? What do you folks think?

The most common explanation has been net weights and bolo stones as some have stated. Frankly, I don't buy into either theory so much. When you handle these things enough, you find they have features that you wouldn't expect. Most times they have a good amount of wear from handling or use. It's not the kind of wear you would expect from hitting the bottom of a river or creek bed, or after getting chucked around like a bolo stone. The wear is almost like use polish from handling. Additionally, net weights can be made in a couple of seconds by notching a piece of limestone or softer rock. Why go through the trouble of making beautiful objects just to lose them at the bottom of a waterway.

Personally, I believe they were likely used as loom weights. There is some prehistoric precedence shown for that usage of similar shaped objects. Yes, other things are certainly be used as loom weights. However, you stand a lot smaller chance of losing your loom weight compared to chucking a plummet off with a net or bolo. Also, the loom weight idea supports the handling wear that I see with many of these items. Loom weights are handled and subject to repeated, handling and gradual wear.

Unfortunately, we'll probably never know their exact use, but I think there's evidence to support a number of different ideas.

Hippy

Loom weights.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread