Arrowhead ??

Boringrat

May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve posted a few rocks and always wasn’t too confident to begin with since I find tons of pottery and zero arrowheads. I came across this in a field and wanted some opinions. Please and sorry if it’s nothing but I’m continuously learning every year so thanks for that! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1544493859.589117.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1544493890.629945.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1544493902.393973.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1544493913.475905.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1544493922.760729.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1544493931.113649.jpg

Upvote 0

Icewing

Silver Member
Jan 5, 2016
NW Arkanslaw
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900 / Garrett PropointerAT.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I suspect you'll get a good mix of yes's and no's.

I typically tell folks; If you aren't sure, it's not.

OP
OP
Boringrat

Boringrat

May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. I figure the folks in here would know better than myself. Like I said I been finding pottery for years in south Louisiana in the swamps and near lakes but I have yet to find a arrowhead.

Kantuckkeean

Bronze Member
Apr 30, 2009
Cornfield, IN
Detector(s) used
F-22, cheapo pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My vote is yes, but most likely is an unfinished piece.

Kindest regards,
Kantuck

Tony in SC

Gold Member
Jun 8, 2006
Upstate South Carolina
Detector(s) used
Whites, Minelab, Tesoro, and custom machines
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If not you're gettin real close. The first pic looks good! Don't throw it away!

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure either, but I'm leaning towards "Yes."

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would also say yes, with some damage to it. Keep it.

GaRebel1861

Gold Member
Jun 16, 2011
South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From the pictures I'd say it's been knapped on and is an artifact of some sort.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
it's a yes, made from a poor stone....still a yes however.

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong
I don't think it's a point or a tool, I see a cool natural rock that happens to have an arrowhead shape. But that's just me looking at a couple of pictures.

The education and journey of finding, comparing and collecting is what I think is the important part. Keep it, and as you find more arrowheads, come back to look at it a couple of years from now and you'll know why it is or isn't an artifact. The opinion that ultimately matters on your finds is your own.

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had mentioned several years back on some of your finds. What you have in this photo is something that is not native to South Louisiana. The Indians traded with other tribes, this one looks to be worked and little knapping is shown. A possibility, quartz is a harder substance, and the individual started on it & was having difficulty and just tossed it. In the land of no rocks. any rock found was bought into the area by man. I learned that from where I live. 539394_2295597047121_116559271_n.jpg

River Rat

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 6, 2006
SE Louisiana
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Ace 250 & Ace 400
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't find the photo of the quartz point I found. Everything in the area where all the tools/points that I've found was in the higher elevation on our property next to the river. Everything was basically the same type of rock...all the same color. This area had been disked/plowed by my husband to keep me finding more. After a rain, that quartz point stood out like a sore thumb.

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't find the photo of the quartz point I found. Everything in the area where all the tools/points that I've found was in the higher elevation on our property next to the river. Everything was basically the same type of rock...all the same color. This area had been disked/plowed by my husband to keep me finding more. After a rain, that quartz point stood out like a sore thumb.

Being able to plow and find artifacts on your own land ...... sounds good to me

OP
OP
Boringrat

Boringrat

May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks all for you input. It was found a few miles from the Mississippi River in south Louisiana. In a sugar cane field. I will not throw it out and I will try to get better pics as requested. Thank you All again

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks creek worn to me even though you say it came from a field. My vote is a worked piece dont know if it was ever finished or not but real close imo

redbeardrelics

Jan 3, 2014
Maryland's Eastern Shore
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500, (Ace 250 spare)
Primary Interest:
Other
From what I can see in the photos, it has the general shape of a point, but I don't think it is one. It does not look like the type of quartz I would expect to see a point or tool fashioned from, but rather looks more like the grainier material that I see mixed in with the grey driveway stones out my way. It just doesn't look like it has been knapped to me. But like everyone else said, keep looking and you will find something that no one will doubt is an artifact.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread