56 KB · Views: 152
Upvote 0

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I've worked it. It chips okay and has the 3 nice colors in some pieces. I've never been able to get much. I've only got one point I made from it. Gary

Last edited:

MosesOfTheSouth

Apr 4, 2014
in my mind/wilds of,tn
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i'm in tenn. does anyone know the location of the outcrops/ quarries? i don't know if i have seen that type chert in anything i have personally found.

Quartzite Keith

Dec 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've knapped some of it here and there. Most is fairly tough. Technically it is a jasper and like most jaspers in its raw state you need to really hit it to get the flakes to run. The "classic" Horse Creek is red, yellow and black, below a few pieces that show some other variations.

001.jpg

MosesOfTheSouth

Apr 4, 2014
in my mind/wilds of,tn
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought it might be from the west side of the state. thanks for confirming. It's enjoyable personally, learning about lithics, trying to accurately identify them, and having some concept of how far it traveled in it's life. Recently found some areas that are producing a large amount of worked "Del Rio" material. It's supposed to be some what rare and desirable from what i understand, coming from small and very localized outcroppings.

i'll keep my eyes peeled for chunks of horse creek for you CaptE. I'm a bit of a walk east from Hardin county, not nearly as far as some of the recorded distances of material being found from it's source tho.

Last edited:

MosesOfTheSouth

Apr 4, 2014
in my mind/wilds of,tn
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've knapped some of it here and there. Most is fairly tough. Technically it is a jasper and like most jaspers in its raw state you need to really hit it to get the flakes to run. The "classic" Horse Creek is red, yellow and black, below a few pieces that show some other variations.

View attachment 1686732
is it something that gets's better with a bit of heat treating?

those pieces have a similar kind of dry/chalky look, and share some color similarities to stuff found locally for me.
find it reasonably close to larger outcroppings of really high quality FT Payne of a local black variety (heat treating totally ruins it).

Quartzite Keith

Dec 17, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
is it something that gets's better with a bit of heat treating?

those pieces have a similar kind of dry/chalky look, and share some color similarities to stuff found locally for me.
find it reasonably close to larger outcroppings of really high quality FT Payne of a local black variety (heat treating totally ruins it).

I'm not really the person to ask, so research this, but going from memory: Yes it can be heat treated. The red parts turn purple. You'll have to look up temps and cook time.

Dirttrax

Jan 16, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
display.jpg

Here is a horse creek chert display a buddy knapped and put together for my son.

Seth1994

Jun 6, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a quarry behind my house thousands of pounds of the true horse creek chert Hardin co ten I’ll be selling here soon

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a quarry behind my house thousands of pounds of the true horse creek chert Hardin co ten I’ll be selling here soon

FYI, we require members to be a charter member to sell here.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread