Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: "Tools"

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    I have been collecting Indian relics for 55 years and i still pick up and bring home "ROCKS" because, sometimes, I'm just not sure or the brain is not working right from low blood sugar. I have kept buckets full of broke relics and truckloads of rocks. If you are not sure about a piece that you have found, there is no better place than right here to get an ID or verification. If the majority of the responces say that it is a rock, don't whine and insult the very people that are trying to help you learn. If you are a beginner , try to find someone local that can take you out and show you what to look for. I have taken dozens of newbies out and they have all found something worth taking home. I usually take a case of finds that are local to that site so they get an idea what to look for. A lot of times, i have seen a point exposed and i take my flipping stick and draw a 2ft. circle around the piece and then invite my guest over to find it. I very rarely keep anything that i find when hunting with other people anymore but they have a great time and LEARN. I took a friend several years ago to a nice woodland camp. He is a very exictable guy and every two steps would pick up a rock and yell "HEY, LOOK AT THIS! After about an hour, I was ready to kill him and I looked down to see a nice small celt. I was drawing a circle around it and heard "HEY, LOOK At THIS" and as I turned to look , he was holding a beautiful 9 inch long celt. I kept the one that I found and he still has his and still tells everyone about that hunt.
    Last edited by Indian Steve; Mar 12, 2019 at 01:32 PM.
    newnan man, arrow86, RGINN and 3 others like this.

Jun 2018
    88 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    One issue I have found is there is more to life than work. Not everything is a tool, and just because the use isn’t obvious doesn’t mean there isn’t one and it couldn’t be deciphered. Art, toys, and instruments of stone can all be found where I’m looking and probably where you are as well.
    uniface likes this.

Jun 2014
    California
    1689 times
    I think the best bet is to only post tools that show evidence of being used . That way you won't get your feelings hurt every time you post a rock .

Jun 2018
    88 times
    [QUOTE=southfork;6124070]I think the best bet is to only post tools that show evidence of being used . That way you won't get your feelings hurt every time you post a rock .[/

Sounds about as much fun as an accounting class.
    uniface likes this.

Sep 2013
    New England
    Garrett AT Pro; F75
    927 times
    Indian Steve hit the" tool on the head"! I am new to the hobby and this little forum, but it amazes me how many threads are not only started but persist with people posting stuff and insisting it is some sort of artifact. Even as a newbie it is ridiculous as they post find after find trying to imagine it is some sort of artifact. Now I know we are all here to learn ( me included) but some of these people have to give it up. Just recently someone posted nice quartz point and a rock that he is seeing a face on ; are you kidding me? These people need to stop breaking the Prozac in half and take a full tablet.

Jun 2018
    88 times
    Being new you don’t get that almost everyone sees the face, only a few will admit it.
    Gaspipe likes this.

us
    Jun 2009
    Central Pennsylvania
    53 times
    re. "expedient tools" -- a term that never should have been chosen to subsume ad hoc tools, because it was expedient for them to do everything they ever did. Up to and including making hafted points, knives, axes &c.

Intentional re-flaking edges of flakes only shows the freshly-struck edges were dulled by use : no bifacially worked edge is ever as sharp as the edge of a thin flake. Which is why they were made and used. Assuming these can be written off as knapping debitage requires a leap of faith that the folks doing things the old way don't support. Several people I recall have described skinning out an entire bison using one flake, with there being no evidence that it was used visible to the naked eye.

If people want to create their own tool/non-tool categories based on edge re-working, it's a free country I guess (although that's getting debatable). But pushing that on new people isn't warranted, IMHO.

A lot of things I've seen posted here that self-assured tool-definers have shot down could well have been tools. And that's as close as you can come -- in the grey areas, short of microscopy, declaring that they were and weren't are matters of belief. Not fact.
    jamus peek likes this.

us
    the boss

Mar 2008
    south dakota
    good eyes
    3285 times
    Yeah I can see a face in some pics, but they are a natural feature of the rock and Nothing special.
    southfork likes this.

Sep 2013
    New England
    Garrett AT Pro; F75
    927 times
    Quote Originally Posted by quito View Post
    Yeah I can see a face in some pics, but they are a natural feature of the rock and Nothing special.
    I see faces in clouds all the time.
    newnan man likes this.

us
    May 2014
    Eastern Shore Maryland
    2352 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred250 View Post
    Being new you dont get that almost everyone sees the face, only a few will admit it.
    Id say your definitely mistaken on that one .... I always give these see faces post a chance but I have yet to see any that I can see what they are talking about .... iv tried squinting, sideways , upside down and have no clue what people are seeing .... once again I defer back to the NAs were so skilled take a look at the work involved with a banner stone if they wanted you to see a face there would be no doubt about it
    Fred250, newnan man and sandchip like this.
    I would rather see an authentic broken scraper posted than a G-10 Artifake!

Jun 2018
    88 times
    [QUOTE=arrow86;6124589]I’d say your definitely mistaken on that one .... I always give these “see faces “ post a chance but I have yet to see any that I can see what they are talking about .... iv tried squinting, sideways , upside down and have no clue what people are seeing .... once again I defer back to the NAs were so skilled take a look at the work involved with a banner stone if they wanted you to see a face there would be no doubt about it[/d

I agree with you, which is why I have always believed it to be older/different in some way. Most examples posted here I can’t really tell either and I’d like to think I’ve developed an eye for it. I have and have posted stuff which is hard to deny the intentionality of if one is honest, but stopped pestering you all with it and kind of lost interest myself. I just don’t think telling people they are seeing things clouds is the best way to handle the problem.

us
    Jan 2012
    Rhode Island
    2861 times
    Relic Hunting
    I don't see any problem with telling people that they are experiencing pareidolia, and not seeing a man made effigy or image. I think it helps people learn. If they want to learn. Many people do not want to learn. Still other people may be "victims" of the Dunning-Kruger effect, which basically is simply thinking one knows more then one actually knows:

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Dunning-Kruger_effect

Especially in this age of severe erosion of any trust or confidence in any source of "authority", be it political authority, scientific authority, religious authority, it's not all that uncommon for people to simply assume their own authority. I exaggerate this trend at times by suggesting we will eventually get to the point where, a patient needs open heart surgery, lets go out on the street and ask the first person, "yo, you wanna try your hand at heart surgery? Follow me". No patient would ever accept any such thing, but nowadays many will settle for the opinion of anyone except people actually trained for decades in just the subject they are interested in. Perish the thought, lol. Add to that a transition to a so-called Post Truth landscape, and they'll be no point in learning anything at all. Whatever you want to believe will be true to you, and if people with greater knowledge disagree, well they can always pound salt, lol.

But anyway, I'm old fashioned. I think telling people it's not a man made face, it's pareidolia, should help, not hinder.

Look, someone actually won an Ig Nobel award for that kind of research, lol:

https://www.utoronto.ca/news/jesus-t...-u-ts-kang-lee

https://www.utoronto.ca/news/seeing-...alone-or-crazy

https://www.sciencedirect.com/scienc...10945214000288
    Last edited by Charl; Mar 13, 2019 at 05:27 PM.
    welsbury likes this.

Jun 2014
    California
    1689 times
    Maybe it takes being stoned ?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	P2193674.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	677.1 KB 
ID:	1690537  
    welsbury, arrow86, Fred250 and 1 others like this.

Jun 2018
    88 times
    I readily concede lesser knowledge of artifacts to almost anyone here. If I wasn’t sure about it, I wouldn’t argue it. Too many cloud images from one spot to have doubt. I took a new job with random testing and still see the faces, so it wasn’t the dope, but I’m sure it helped and certainly miss it. Legal in the state but not in the company, go figure.

Jun 2018
    88 times
    How many people with the same “sickness” does it take before you start to have doubt.. Only been here a short time compared to most and I’ve seen plenty. In America we don’t let the individual drown to save the masses, that’s a commie thing. The old ways aren’t going to work in the Information Age.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links