Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree77Likes

Thread: "Tools"

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    us
    Jun 2009
    Central Pennsylvania
    53 times

"Tools"

There is a pretty common misconception among people interested in artifacts that only bifaces (flaked on both sides) with more or less recognizable forms are really "artifacts" and everything else "just rocks."

I'm here to point out that this idea completely collapses when an attempt is made to apply it to tools made previously to the very end of the Pleistocene (the "ice age"), anywhere. In fact, and completely unsuspected by most people in the Western Hemisphere in general, elaborate categories exist of flaked stone tools have been compiled by archaeologists, made and used over the course of a much longer time than people are supposed to have been here -- and they look nothing like the hafted points, knives and scrapers we assume were the only ones that were "real" artifacts.

A useful little teaser bearing on this appeared this morning:
    https://www.sott.net/article/408923-...-flint-objects

Notice also (in the picture) the number of round, water-worn pebbles found in association with these.

The point isn't that there were the Neanderthals here who made these; it's that the things they left for us to find were, and no doubt about it, tools. That being the case, the argument that similarly unsophisticated items found here could not have been tools collapses.

Anyone interested could easily start by looking up (search term) Mousterian and clicking on Images. From there, one thing leads to another.

FWIW

us
    May 2014
    Eastern Shore Maryland
    2352 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    I think most would recognize those as tools .... sharp , worked flint ... you would be foolish not to recognize them the problem is when people post dull unworked river cobbles and claim they are something other than that
    ghp95134 likes this.
    I would rather see an authentic broken scraper posted than a G-10 Artifake!

Jun 2018
    88 times
    I have a good collection of quartz tools that would be and have been quickly rejected here. That may be personal but it seems to happen to others as well.
    Last edited by Fred250; Mar 11, 2019 at 04:35 PM.

May 2008
    XP Deus
    657 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred250 View Post
    I have a good collection of quartz tools that would be and have been quickly rejected here. That may be personal but it seems to happen to others as well.
    Similarly, I have a bunch of tools, that if anyone else besides me posted them, I would reject them because the picture doesn't tell the whole story. I know they are tools because of where I found them, because of the details I can see, because how it fits the hand etc. But if you were to post it, I would scoff at it
    Fred250 likes this.

Jun 2018
    88 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeff H View Post
    Similarly, I have a bunch of tools, that if anyone else besides me posted them, I would reject them because the picture doesn't tell the whole story. I know they are tools because of where I found them, because of the details I can see, because how it fits the hand etc. But if you were to post it, I would scoff at it
    Well said.

I am sorry to say this but ANY rock can fit your hand if you play with it long enough. There are a lot of {mostly new} people that post rocks on here that fit their hands and then have hissy fits when people with lots more experience tell them the truth.

us
    Apr 2008
    Southern Ohio
    4900 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    These are all Uniface Tools from one site. These are everywhere if you take the time to pick them up and keep them. I actually find these Tools in piles of Flint other hunters throw down.

All of these have an edge worked on them somewhere and some of them have very fine flaking along the edges.

Also, for those that see faces you'll have a couple surprises in there. lol
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpeg 
Views:	39 
Size:	1.66 MB 
ID:	1689676   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	16 
Size:	1.24 MB 
ID:	1689677   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	16 
Size:	1.23 MB 
ID:	1689678   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	28 
Size:	1.34 MB 
ID:	1689681   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	12 
Size:	1.25 MB 
ID:	1689682  

Click image for larger version. 

Views:	12 
Size:	1.05 MB 
ID:	1689683   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	15 
Size:	1.07 MB 
ID:	1689684   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	19 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	1689685   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	33 
Size:	1.30 MB 
ID:	1689686  
    "Welcome back my friends, to the show that never ends."

Jun 2018
    88 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Indian Steve View Post
    I am sorry to say this but ANY rock can fit your hand if you play with it long enough. There are a lot of {mostly new} people that post rocks on here that fit their hands and then have hissy fits when people with lots more experience tell them the truth.
    I have a thick skin, but this even messed me up for a little. Try and give people a break, somehow it can mess with your head.
    uniface likes this.

Jun 2018
    88 times
    Quote Originally Posted by The Grim Reaper View Post
    These are all Uniface Tools from one site. These are everywhere if you take the time to pick them up and keep them. I actually find these Tools in piles of Flint other hunters throw down.

All of these have an edge worked on them somewhere and some of them have very fine flaking along the edges.

Also, for those that see faces you'll have a couple surprises in there. lol
    I guess the question is if that stuff is representative of an older style or just expedient tools. My gut says one of the hominids was here earlier than can be proven, and that’s what keeps me interested. It seems whole genome sequencing will eventually sort it out.

us
    Apr 2008
    Southern Ohio
    4900 times
    Banner Finds (4)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fred250 View Post
    I guess the question is if that stuff is representative of an older style or just expedient tools. My gut says one of the hominids was here earlier than can be proven, and thatís what keeps me interested. It seems whole genome sequencing will eventually sort it out.
    Here are the two other trays from this site. I also have a nice Bell Pestle, a Plummet, broken Axes, lots of stone Hoes, etc from this site. It is predominately a Woodlamd site I believe.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Views:	46 
Size:	1.40 MB 
ID:	1689790   Click image for larger version. 

Views:	38 
Size:	1.42 MB 
ID:	1689791  
    sandchip, Geradot, uniface and 2 others like this.
    "Welcome back my friends, to the show that never ends."

May 2008
    XP Deus
    657 times
    Quote Originally Posted by Indian Steve View Post
    I would agree. But just "fitting your hand" wasn't the only criteria I used.

us
    the boss

Mar 2008
    south dakota
    good eyes
    3285 times
    I just love that micro flaking some of Steve's pieces show.

Bottom pic in the row on the right has a real nice example.
    The Grim Reaper likes this.

us
    Oct 2010
    Georgia
    Teknetics T2SE
    3304 times
    Love that little celt in the center!
    The Grim Reaper likes this.

us
    Jan 2011
    622 times
    I brought home 30# of flakes last year like Reaper posted in his first picture and all from one site. Most all are percussion flakes from the flintknapper. Some edges work and some not. I plan on making an arrowhead frame out of them much like my pottery sherd frame. No one really knows if the knapper didn't reach down and pick up a flake and use it to cut something and throw it back down on the ground. That flake just turned into a useful tool.

us
    Aug 2005
    Beautiful Florida
    715 times
    Expiedient tools are real. Being able to asertain what is/isn't is the issue. If a ancient being picked up a rock to break a nut or drive a stake that rock is a tool. The instant he throws it back on the ground it is just another rock. Grimms assembladge are clearly tools as are a lot of single faced flakes.
    When one begins picking up rocks near known sites or because they look like they could have been used as a tool it becomes a free for all. Personally if it immediately doesn't look man made I don't give it much attention. If I have to have a 4 screen debate as to wether a rock is just that or something that was possibly usedas a "tool" I'll just toss it back. JMHO

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links