Does anyone know what these are? Indian beads/money??

Jan 22, 2014
Knoxville
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 305, Garret AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• 20190419_125133.jpg
    20190419_125133.jpg
    356.2 KB · Views: 101
  • 20190419_125257.jpg
    20190419_125257.jpg
    308.1 KB · Views: 84
Upvote 0

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My grandfather called them Indian Beads. They are crinoids, like Alabama said.

IDignails

Greenie
Apr 14, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I’ve only been on here a few days and have already learned so much through post like these! You guys are awesome!

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are definitely Crinoid fossils. Nice examples too.

Now, here's the tricky part. They did actually use some of these as Beads. Some Crionoids will have the center either drilled out or some will erode out naturally. If you find some like that on sites where other Beads have been found then there is a better chance of actually being Beads. I have found a few on Ft Ancient sites.

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bottom left looks like coral. Vertical striations instead of horizontal. If an Indian found a crinoid with a perforation he/she would surely use it. Gary

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
Remember that where he found the crinoids was under water thousands of years ago. I found them in New Mexico near mountain tops. I found them separated at first wondering what small washers were doing in the desert and then I was informed that they were crinoid sections. I brought home a quart jar of them to give out to kids for show and tell at school.

Crinoids are animals related to the star fish and have been found as old as 300 million years old. Google it and you will read some interesting info on them.

Last edited:

MosesOfTheSouth

Apr 4, 2014
in my mind/wilds of,tn
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everyone has answered the question on what i believe. there are huge areas where you can find these in Tennessee, it's hard to come home without a few in your pocket (at least for me). if the old hunter you got these from is located in the same area of tn as you, seems like he has the same habit.

i personally haven't found any possible to directly associate with NA culture (like Steve mentioned) yet. because of the Crinoids natural ability to decay into almost pre-made beads, very close association with other NA artifacts is needed.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread