Big haul

Out Of Time

Apr 10, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Finally hit a gravel bar that has been too hard to reach till the creek dropped a little.

Super happy with my finds.

Nothing specifically amazing but a very nice variety including some real mystery objects.

There are three bifaces (all squared at the base, probably broken?), a little uniface point, a lancelot point, a tiny knapped awl or needle, an odd, long, rectangular block (no idea what it could be), a little ball (again a mystery item) and a odd little stone that most likely is not an artifact. All Napa Obsidian.

Nine pieces in a couple of hours is the best I've ever done.

4:21_FindsA.jpg

Upvote 0

catyron

Apr 15, 2019
Forestville, California
Detector(s) used
Old Maps, Dowsing, Borrowed detecting equipment from friends.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice stuff. You mentioned "Napa Obsidian" -- are you in Napa County? I am in west Sonoma County and have found a few pieces of nicely knapped obsidian around here too. There's a special thrill to it for me.

OP
OP
O

Out Of Time

Apr 10, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice stuff. You mentioned "Napa Obsidian" -- are you in Napa County? I am in west Sonoma County and have found a few pieces of nicely knapped obsidian around here too. There's a special thrill to it for me.

Yes. East Napa not far from the border with Lake County.

I stumbled on my first obsidian point several years ago and quickly developed a mild obsession. They are fascinating, beautiful, powerful objects that fire my imagination.
I've done my best to read and study so I can get a basic understanding of what I've found but I've still got tons to learn.

We are lucky in this part of California, not only were the cultures deep and various but they had access to top grade obsidian and made awesome lithics.

The main people in my little corner were named Wappo but there were also Pomo, Patwin and Miwok.

I think Sonoma is pure Pomo territory.

Anyhow, it's nice to connect with a neighbor.

Here's a cute one I found in January...

20190326_173509.jpg

southfork

Bronze Member
Jun 15, 2014
California
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes. East Napa not far from the border with Lake County.

I stumbled on my first obsidian point several years ago and quickly developed a mild obsession. They are fascinating, beautiful, powerful objects that fire my imagination.
I've done my best to read and study so I can get a basic understanding of what I've found but I've still got tons to learn.

We are lucky in this part of California, not only were the cultures deep and various but they had access to top grade obsidian and made awesome lithics.

The main people in my little corner were named Wappo but there were also Pomo, Patwin and Miwok.

I think Sonoma is pure Pomo territory.

Anyhow, it's nice to connect with a neighbor.

Here's a cute one I found in January...

View attachment 1705613

Nice Rattlesnake corner notched .

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread