Got lucky seeing this one...Small KRF blade.

tchaire

Oct 4, 2004

Attachments

• KRF 1.jpg
    KRF 1.jpg
    164.5 KB · Views: 87
  • KRF 2.jpg
    KRF 2.jpg
    117.6 KB · Views: 42
  • KRF 3.jpg
    KRF 3.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 72
  • pipestone 1.jpg
    pipestone 1.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 47
  • pipestone 2.jpg
    pipestone 2.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 51
Upvote 0

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That is a really beautiful blade. You do have the eyes tuned in. Go with it.

Zep11in

Feb 22, 2019
Louisiana
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D, Whites MX5, Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful blade...Congrats on the awesome find!

ToddsPoint

Gold Member
Mar 2, 2018
Todds Point, IL
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
KRF is Knife River Flint. From Dunn and Mercer Co.'s in N.Dak. Thousands of years ago a cattail swamp was buried and on its way to turning into lignite. Some event caused the lignite to silicify. Years later, the deposit was ripped out and scattered over the two counties in N.Dak. The cream colored specks in KRF are remains of the cattails. KRF is one of the toughest, sharpest, tool quality flints there is in N.Amer.

Also, that's the first piece of Catlinite in raw form I've seen found. I've seen many artifacts, but never raw stone anywhere but the quarry. You made some good finds. Gary

OP
OP
T

tchaire

Oct 4, 2004
KRF is Knife River Flint. From Dunn and Mercer Co.'s in N.Dak. Thousands of years ago a cattail swamp was buried and on its way to turning into lignite. Some event caused the lignite to silicify. Years later, the deposit was ripped out and scattered over the two counties in N.Dak. The cream colored specks in KRF are remains of the cattails. KRF is one of the toughest, sharpest, tool quality flints there is in N.Amer.

Also, that's the first piece of Catlinite in raw form I've seen found. I've seen many artifacts, but never raw stone anywhere but the quarry. You made some good finds. Gary

Thanks for sharing this info. Gary. Here's a pic of some of the larger unworked pieces we've found over the years along with some of the broken pipes and worked pieces we've picked up.

Attachments

• Pipestone pieces.jpg
    Pipestone pieces.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 54
  • Pipestone worked.jpg
    Pipestone worked.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 60
  • Pipestone worked 2.jpg
    Pipestone worked 2.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 51

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread