Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been looking for four out of the last 7 days for Indian artifacts, and it has been hot but I have just a couple spots available this time of year. Best site is 380 miles from here, but I considered this my "vacation". Spent a lot on motels and gas, my truck is tired and my cats think I've abandoned them. I found over 50 POUNDS of Flint Ridge Ohio lithics, mainly cores, some flake blades, knives, a paleo graver (I think), stuff is still sitting in the sink and a bucket. A couple broken points, hammerstones, etc. and went to other sites and got some nice stuff. I haven't had time to do anything, but...was visiting with the owner of the farm, a very nice lady.

She gave me permission to detect her lawn and was telling me about a 7" long clovis some kid found a few years ago! There was paleo activity at this end of Flint Ridge. I think some of the cores, gravers and all I have are paleo, but I don't know for sure.

I found this one pile or rocks and started picking through it and the dug some.

I found this! Best arrowhead I think I've found in my entire life! Can anyone tell me what kind it is? I thought I was being pranked at first, but I had gone by myself, so no one to do that. The color is a little darker than in real life, don't know why the camera did that.

arrowhead.jpg

Upvote 0

IMAUDIGGER

Silver Member
Mar 16, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe take a picture of it in a way that gives a sense of size?

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry folks. I've been doing overnight collecting trips now 6 days out of the last 10 and have rocks and relics on the couch, in the sink, next to the sink, on the floor, in the truck, etc. and I'm so tired I'm shaking like a leaf. Therefore, film at 11, actually tomorrow, which is the plan. I'll start with the length of this one as soon as I find my measuring tape!

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.Ok, I had enough strength to MOVE. It's 3 3/4" long. Like I said, the BEST arrowhead I have found in my life. (Which means I haven't found much.) Until this week. It's all still in the truck. I did manage to move ME into the house!

Davers

Gold Member
Jan 8, 2013
N.of , I-285...GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Spc xlt & Tesoro Tejon- Now back ...Fisher 1266-X. TRX Pointer. New .Teknetics G2 + . New AT Pro .
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry folks. I've been doing overnight collecting trips now 6 days out of the last 10 and have rocks and relics on the couch, in the sink, next to the sink, on the floor, in the truck, etc. and I'm so tired I'm shaking like a leaf. Therefore, film at 11, actually tomorrow, which is the plan. I'll start with the length of this one as soon as I find my measuring tape!

You are def, 'Hard-Core' & love your never ending enthusiasm.

Your Point is beautiful , I also have found only a few in my time as well.
Thanks for the pictures.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check out the other threads. I grouped the artifacts by type. I have 200 more pieces (not sure of count) STILL in the sink. And on the floor. And on the couch.

Here's a pic of one of the sites: finding worked tools is like finding a needle in a haystack.

IMG_0528.jpg IMG_0529.jpg (ARGH! pics on the side, sometimes I forget to tilt the camera.)

Last edited:

joshuaream

Silver Member
Jun 25, 2009
Florida & Hong Kong

High quality Ohio Hopewell points made from Flintridge like that were often trade commodities from Ohio out to the far reaches of their โ€œempireโ€ (sphere of influence is probably a better term than empire.) Youโ€™ll see a thousand of them with dings and nicks before you see one of that quality.

Old time collectors like Copeland and others chased those types more than many other relics, just because of the rarity and what I suspect to be really high quality knapping and material.

Last edited:
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried knapping once a few years ago. I successfully made a pile of trash rock from a bigger piece of flint. I just couldn't do it. Anyway, this was a total shock. I have found a lot this week. I'll have to dig out my best pieces that I found and post them. By comparison, this one makes the others look like dog food. I don't know who the old time collectors were. I have some of the manuals on point types and there is a lot on the internet. I still can't tell the exact differences with the nuances on points.

BTW this one has a couple dings.

Last edited:
OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all! It was like the very old TV commercial "I can't believe I ate the whole thing." What I like best is the micro fossils outlined in PETROLEUM in the thing, like I said, they pump oil off the property. The nearest well head is only 100' or so (I think, didn't go back there due to possible monsters), in the woods from where this was found.

OP
OP
smokeythecat

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
๐Ÿฅ‡ Banner finds
๐Ÿ† Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Couple more pics. IMG_0547.JPG IMG_0549.JPG

The last picture is with my digital microscope of what I think is the microfossils with natural petroleum! point.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread