Freemindedclark

Sep 18, 2017
Elliott Iowa
Detector(s) used
The Hubble telescope
Primary Interest:
Other
Pictures of artifacts please

I am starting this thread in the hopes that the members of this forum will flood it with pictures of all the various artifacts they have found and or collected over time. I figured this thread could provide novice hunters and collectors with a vast wealth from which to learn from and compare to.

I thank you all for helping further my education as well as others.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
View attachment 1760775 Found in two pieces in a Manasota midden site. Hole appears to be mostly natural worm hole but I am sure it was used. Possibly broken ceremoniously as 99% of pottery is "killed".
2 things Tom make me think the hole was drilled. 1- I have thousands of sharks teeth from the Venice area which is right where you found that one, none have worm holes in them.
2- the hole is exactly where all drilled teeth I've seen have them. Seems a stretch a worm would pick the same spot!
Since you found it in a midden I'm thinking it was done by a good old Calusa boy! Good find.

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
20190127_104207.jpg
Hard stone from Ross Co Ohio. I found these in the late 60's into the early 70's. Gorget found by my brother is from southern Indiana near the Ohio River. Pipe is from near Murfreesboro, Tn. I bought it from the finder.

Last edited:

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
20180704_095334.jpg
Dovetails. I found the one on the left in 1968 behind Scioto Trail elementary school, Columbus, Oh. They were doing construction during the summer & a bulldozer scraped off the topsoil. It was laying perfectly between the tracks. Flintridge material. The back of the schoolyard ended at the bluff over the river and in the early 70's the Ohio Arch Society did a dig right on the school yard. They found a woodland village site and my brother would go and watch the students dig. They wanted to see the stuff he found nearby too. Middle one is from Rush Co Indiana, purchased from the finder. Right one is from the Martin Bauer farm Scioto Co Oh. I bought it from his grandson.

Last edited:

Sunny Side

Banned
Sep 15, 2019
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer ll
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1760959
Dovetails. I found the one on the left in 1968 behind Scioto Trail elementary school, Columbus, Oh. They were doing construction during the summer & a bulldozer scraped off the topsoil. It was laying perfectly between the tracks. Flintridge material. The back of the schoolyard ended at the bluff over the river and in the early 70's the Ohio Arch Society did a did right on the school yard. They found a woodland village site and my brother would go and watch the students dig. They wanted to see the stuff he found nearby too. Middle one is from Rush Co Indiana, purchased from the finder. Right one is from the Martin Bauer farm Scioto Co Oh. I bought it from his grandson.

I can’t see the picture.

MosesOfTheSouth

Apr 4, 2014
in my mind/wilds of,tn
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You have some really nice points there.

thanks man. it's been a lot of walking, a lot of grubbing in the river muck, many miles for some of them. just a tiny percent of the finds though. it's insane how many parts and pieces you discover along the way to each mostly whole. let alone things above field grade. such a slippery slope. house full of rocks haha.

Charl

Silver Member
Jan 19, 2012
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I so enjoy seeing examples of the milky quartz points.

Here's a few from Rhode Island. These are older photos, did not provide scale. All under about 1 1/2" in this first frame, all from same field that has yielded several hundred of these small quartz points:

IMG_3676.jpg

Scapers from the same field as the above frame:

IMG_3678.jpg

More quartz, largest something over 2"...

IMG_3677.jpg

OP
OP
F

Freemindedclark

Sep 18, 2017
Elliott Iowa
Detector(s) used
The Hubble telescope
Primary Interest:
Other
thanks man. it's been a lot of walking, a lot of grubbing in the river muck, many miles for some of them. just a tiny percent of the finds though. it's insane how many parts and pieces you discover along the way to each mostly whole. let alone things above field grade. such a slippery slope. house full of rocks haha.

I know exactly what you mean only I don't have near as much to show for it. The area I live in, or at least the area's I can hunt, aren't very productive.

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this steatite banner on a sandbar nearly 30 years ago.

banner.jpg banner1.jpg

banner2.jpg banner3.jpg

flyadive

Bronze Member
Jun 11, 2012
NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That’s a beautiful Bannerstone!

arrow86

Silver Member
May 6, 2014
Eastern Shore Maryland
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a nice banner stone .... the hole looks bigger than most of them or is that just the pics making it seem that way ??

sandchip

Silver Member
Oct 29, 2010
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is a nice banner stone .... the hole looks bigger than most of them or is that just the pics making it seem that way ??

It is a lot bigger than normally seen and elliptical in shape, measuring 3/4" x 7/8", having been enlarged by gouging (for lack of better word). I don't doubt that this one was actually used as an atlatl weight with the force causing the break coming from the inside. My guess is that it was caused by the force of the throw flexing the atlatl enough to pop out the missing piece.

Last edited:

MAMucker

Bronze Member
Feb 2, 2019
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
Other

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions