Elk Tooth Bead, 15'th Century

dirstscratcher

Mar 8, 2019
N.C. Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This Elk tooth bead was excavated in 1998 in a major northern Ohio 14/15'th century village site. It's only one of two that I've ever seen excavated, though I know they aren't that uncommon. For size reference it's a little over 1/2", and the smaller of the two that I have seen.

20191212_161430.jpg 20191212_161441.jpg

Upvote 0

Rege-PA

Jul 13, 2007
They are occasionally found here in PA on Monongahela and late Woodland sites, but far more are made of bone and do turn up more often. It was a popular pendant/bead that was frequently sewn on garments. Real Pa elk were shot out by 1870. The herd we have now is expanding and prospering with a world record soon to turn up, after 90 years the game commission opened them to hunting and this sparked the herd to multiply with good management. They are hunted on a draw permit which anyone can apply for and hope they are pulled.

Kray Gelder

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2017
Georgetown, SC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Elk Ivory teeth are believed to be remnant tusks, two only, shown here "in situ".

elk ivory.jpg

OP
OP
D

dirstscratcher

Mar 8, 2019
N.C. Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The second one I have was excavated in a 6'th century early-late woodland site. I don't have a picture at hand to post. If I recall, in the movie "Dances With Wolves", the white captive woman wore a buckskin dress with many of these beads sewn on. I presume they were more common in the west.

Saguache

Jan 12, 2019
Colorado
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
My understanding is that the "elk ivory" [which it is among only a hand full of true ivorys] was a more common man's orniment by the tribes in the western hi plains [shoshone - crow] and then became a female sacred decoration on their skirts in pre contact time. Not sure about the movie tribe affiliation being correct.
I read a piece that stated that the Shoshone tribe has a cache of them in the thousands.

https://www.pinterest.com/6052lorefaye/elk-tooth-cowrie-shell-dresses/

Last edited:

The Grim Reaper

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2008
Southern Ohio
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've found a lot of Drilled Teeth but I've never found an Elk Ivory, though I have seen some found here. I did however find a Cannel Coal Effigy of one on a site dated 1425 to 1575. It's on the far right in this picture. The others are Canine Tooth Effigies.

Yours is a very fine example.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    803.2 KB · Views: 54

newnan man

Gold Member
Aug 8, 2005
Beautiful Florida
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I've found a lot of Drilled Teeth but I've never found an Elk Ivory, though I have seen some found here. I did however find a Cannel Coal Effigy of one on a site dated 1425 to 1575. It's on the far right in this picture. The others are Canine Tooth Effigies.

Yours is a very fine example.
That is a great frame Grim! I always enjoy seeing it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread